Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where can I find practice data?

I'm learning PI at the moment and I'd like some data to practice on (as there is no night in the UK at the moment).

Does anyone know of any repositories of FITS files? Either narrowband or OSC, preferably both.

Thanks

Edited by StuartT

30 minutes ago, StuartT said:

I'm learning PI at the moment and I'd like some data to practice on (as there is no night in the UK at the moment).

Does anyone know of any repositories of FITS files? Either narrowband or OSC, preferably both.

Thanks

Plenty here to get your teeth into Stuart ... :smile:

http://www.mistisoftware.com/astronomy/index_fits.htm

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Plenty here to get your teeth into Stuart ... :smile:

http://www.mistisoftware.com/astronomy/index_fits.htm

Great! Thank you

10 hours ago, Freddie said:

Or you could always try all the data here on SGL in the retailer IKI observatory section !!!!!!

Interesting! I didn't know SGL had its own observatory! I'll take a look. Thanks

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Great! Thank you

Interesting! I didn't know SGL had its own observatory! I'll take a look. Thanks

I cannot comment on any other data but from what I have seen and understand the SGL data is first class. For test processing it's perfect as any resulting issues are down to the processing and not the data which is exactly what you need when trying to learn a new tool or process.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

I cannot comment on any other data but from what I have seen and understand the SGL data is first class. For test processing it's perfect as any resulting issues are down to the processing and not the data which is exactly what you need when trying to learn a new tool or process.

I'm just reading about it now. Do you know if they release all the raw subs? Or just the integrated data? Ideally I'd like the raw data to practice WBPP too.

5 minutes ago, StuartT said:

I'm just reading about it now. Do you know if they release all the raw subs? Or just the integrated data? Ideally I'd like the raw data to practice WBPP too.

Hmm, from memory and what I saw, just the integrations I think. Do you not have any fits at all, I mean you don't need many just to run WBPP as it were and once you have it down you can then use "good" data to do real processing if you see what I mean.

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Hmm, from memory and what I saw, just the integrations I think. Do you not have any fits at all, I mean you don't need many just to run WBPP as it were and once you have it down you can then use "good" data to do real processing if you see what I mean.

Yes, I do have a pile of my own raw data, but I quite wanted to practice on someone else's too. But no matter. I can still practice my post-processing skills on the IK integrated files.

That forum really needs a sticky post explaining the basics of the observatory, how it all works, location, equipment etc

There doesn't seem to have been any activity since last year though. I wonder if it's still operational?

Edited by StuartT