First Night Out on DSO's for Ages...

Psychobilly

Seems like an Eternity since I was last out on the DSO's and tonight is the first of a 6 day break from work.

Not as clear as I would have liked so couldn't go for the earlier targets that I wanted to as the moisture in the air was scattering the LP so had to find a darker spot.. as it happened the Leo Triplet had just risen above the trees and it was one of my intended targets so instead of a quick look ended up sitting on it for a while...

So here is my first Real attempt at Galaxies with the modded 350D (40x300s ISO1600) on CPC800 @ f6.3 with CLS-CCD Clip in filter, guided using a DSI IIC on a 500mm f8 lens... The modded 1000D was capturing the area in wide field at the same time on the Megrez 72 FFIII combo - I'll process that image next and post it in this thread...

Billy...

I did say it was goign to be a tight squeeze.. Thats an ever such a slight crop to loose the corner stars might need to tweak the spacing a bit... also baddly needs "real" flats but I think I managed to healing brush out he worst of the bunnies...

Might have to make up a flats panel for the obs wall while I am on hols...

Anyway heres the wide field captured at the same time... and a tight crop before resizing from the wide field image to roughly match the narrow field one ... no flats or darks (yet)

Billy...

Nice shot Peter. You are dead right about the sky, shame because the stars are really steady on my guider, and even at f10 they havent bloated after 600 secs, but the sky just wasnt transparent. Fogs down now too.

At least you got out, and got a decent result too!

My main aim is to mosaic a fair chunk of Virgo to at least 40x300s depth...you know the busy bit with all those lovely faint fuzzies in there...will plan the image center co-ords tomorrow I think...

I want to do a strip from NGC4153 in the North to M61 in the South and bounded by M60 in the East and NGC4153 in the West... big chunk of SKy and probably biting of a bit more than I can chew...its about 8.5x14.5 degrees when the FOV of the Megrez 72 FF III is about 3.7x2.5 degrees so allowing for overlaps its 3 panes wide by 7 deep hmmm might have to go with 20x300s @ ISO1600 instead...

Billy...

Got a couple of hours on M84/M86 and the eyes... then remembered that Cygnus is Rising in the east for the insomniacs so finishing the night on my absolute fav bit of sky... NGC7000 and IC5070 and boy am I chuffed with the modded 1000D :) Even a single 5 min ISO800 sub shows great colour... I will leave it on there till dawn whilst i catch a bit of shut-eye... but thats krept up my target list for tomorrow morning - tonight i am centered on NGC7000 at teh expense of NGC5070 --- tomorrow i'll go to my fav guide star just of the "east coast" of "florida" and take my usual shot :)

What a great feeling getting a whole night in again - definitely out of practice with the micro napping so feel half dead...as I have been up since 5am yesterday without sleep...last summer this would have been much easier...

Morning All Billy....

Here's the M84-M86 Eyes image form the CPC800 @ f6.3 24x300s ISO1600

Wide field 20x300s ISO800 1000D Meg72 FF III......

The Wide field desperately needs flats... so warts and all at the moment... no darks flats cameras are doing darks as I type this...

I can never get to sleep until I have checked the roughs... so peraps now I can get an hour or so's kip whilst the darks are being collected...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thats a great result of the triplet with the DSI II and camera lens.

Regards

Kevin

If only Kev... The DSI IIC and the Camera lens was the guide camsetup - Imaging was the CPC800 @F6.3 and the moded 350D and the Megrez 72 FF III with the 1000D at the same time...:)

This is a really good start to your galaxy season, Billy - well done!

Cheers all...

The Galaxy Season might be over before it's even started though becuase I just can't Resist the "Cygnus" nebs... but the galaxies will give me something to do while I am waiting for the "beautiful" swan to emerge from the murk....

I managed a few hours broken "ugly" sleep so its time to get started on more detailed planning for tonights "mission"

Billy...

Archived