SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dark skies + full moon and a 12” dob. What will I be able to see?

Hi all, 

I will be hopefully be travelling to a dark skies  site in the near future with a possibility of renting a 300p lightbridge. However when I go it will be when the moon is at its brightest mid September. Bad planning on my end. I just wanted to know what will I still be able to see and if it would be worth investing in any filters at all to make the experience a bit better?

thanks for the help.

Edited by Olli

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

How long are you going for Olli, and whereabouts?

Hi Stu ( sorry for putting it in the wrong topic) I will be going to Tenerife for about 10 nights.

• Thanks 1

I’ll leave the expert observers to give you the most informed replies, but I’m afraid in my limited experience a full moon at a dark site will kill any broad band observing of faint objects. A moonless dark sky with a big aperture scope, is an unforgettable experience, however.

1 hour ago, Olli said:

Hi Stu ( sorry for putting it in the wrong topic) I will be going to Tenerife for about 10 nights.

A lot depends on the exact dates, but I would think you stand a reasonable chance of getting some time with the Moon out of the way for a few hours at least. Full Moon does rather trash things, but let us know when I I can have a look.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

A lot depends on the exact dates, but I would think you stand a reasonable chance of getting some time with the Moon out of the way for a few hours at least. Full Moon does rather trash things, but let us know when I I can have a look.

Hi stu, 

the exact dates are the 9th of September to the 19th. After doing a bit more research I think it maybe best to see if I can change the dates. When is usually the best time for the moon cycle?

16 minutes ago, Olli said:

Hi stu, 

the exact dates are the 9th of September to the 19th. After doing a bit more research I think it maybe best to see if I can change the dates. When is usually the best time for the moon cycle?

It’s not ideal to be honest, you would probably want to push it back a week or even two if you can as 10th is full Moon. On the plus side, if you can’t change it, the Moon will rise later and be waning as the time goes on and so towards the latter part of your stay you will get much of the evening without it interfering. So, for example, by Saturday 17th the Moon won’t rise til after midnight (so strictly 18th) and will be down to 58% illuminated. It also rise on the opposite horizon to the centre of the MilkyWay where lots of great targets are.

So, ideally push it back a week or two, but don’t despair if you can’t, just expect to wait until the back end of the break for best views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Olli said:

Hi stu, 

Actually starting off at Full Moon is not at all bad. Full Moon means it's diametrically opposite the Sun. Which means at Full Moon, the Moon rises when the Sun sets. Which further means that from that point, the Moon rises about an hour later each night thereafter. Just 2-3 nights after Full Moon, you'll get 2-3 hours of pre Moonrise darkness, and each day gives you an extra hour. In my book, Full Moon means dark nights start really soon.

I've appended a chart of key times based on Tenerife location and those dates...

Cheers, Magnus

TenerifeDark.JPG.984d1b8373c29cbd43b43cd015b52418.JPG

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

It’s not ideal to be honest, you would probably want to push it back a week or even two if you can as 10th is full Moon. On the plus side, if you can’t change it, the Moon will rise later and be waning as the time goes on and so towards the latter part of your stay you will get much of the evening without it interfering. So, for example, by Saturday 17th the Moon won’t rise til after midnight (so strictly 18th) and will be down to 58% illuminated. It also rise on the opposite horizon to the centre of the MilkyWay where lots of great targets are.

So, ideally push it back a week or two, but don’t despair if you can’t, just expect to wait until the back end of the break for best views.

Thanks stu, this was kind of on my bucket list to go to do so I wouldn’t want the moon to ruin it. I’ll see if I can push the dates back tomorrow. With observing with a full moon is it pretty much like doing it at a Bortle 7 sky? I was hoping to do some photography too so I guess that would be out the window if I went during those times apart from the back end.

25 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Actually starting off at Full Moon is not at all bad. Full Moon means it's diametrically opposite the Sun. Which means at Full Moon, the Moon rises when the Sun sets. Which further means that from that point, the Moon rises about an hour later each night thereafter. Just 2-3 nights after Full Moon, you'll get 2-3 hours of pre Moonrise darkness, and each day gives you an extra hour. In my book, Full Moon means dark nights start really soon.

I've appended a chart of key times based on Tenerife location and those dates...

Cheers, Magnus

TenerifeDark.JPG.984d1b8373c29cbd43b43cd015b52418.JPG

That chart is incredibly helpful. A bit reassuring that it slowly goes down near the end. And it’s good to know about the pre moon darkness.

Edited by Olli
  • Like 2