SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron 100ed-r with solar filter.

Chaz2b

This is its first actual observation session , I used a Televue 2” diagonal with Televue 40mm, 32mm, 20mm and 15mm plossls. I also used an ES 10mm. Placed at the front is a Seymour Solar glass filter… securely attached!

The 40 got onto the sun very quickly, a lot of out travel was required for good focus, all the details of the sun spots were clearly visible and stable. Then I moved onto the 32, again good acquisition and focus, closer and as stable. The 20 and 15 got me closer and in focus but now I was having trouble keeping it stable, the mount is a Orion virtuoso 11, no need for counter weights but it starts to move in the wind so is noticable in shorter focal lengths.

when I tried the ES 10 I felt it was no better or worse than the tv15, just heavier. Finally I tried using the whole set up with my Televue binoviewer…not a chance!, couldn’t get focus, it kept dancing around..no it needs a more stable mount like my eq5.

well, I enjoyed the views and details, a slight view of granualation around the larger spot but not on the whole, did I see some promination?! Nah must be on the lens!

I tried taking some pictures hand held, but it really needs a proper eyepiece mount for any chance of success. I do have a neximage 5 camera so maybe I’ll try that next time. I’m on Zapain medication for my back and knees so viewing time is limited to endurance, I live in a first floor flat and taking the kit outside can get a little testing.

clear skies.

chaz

Oh! The joys of getting old, I forgot to take out the Herschel wedge with me! Doh!

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 3

A good report of your observations chaz.

Re the granulation.  I use a Baader Solar Continuum Filter with my 100ED Tecnosky for taking pics and visual, I can't remember a time I haven't seen granulation across the disc using it, and it also improves the views of sunspots and faculae.  I use a Baader film filter at the front end, butI would have thought it would be the same with your Seymour filter.

• Like 1

The Seymour is orange and I have a Baader continuum filter, I tried it with the tv 85 I had and it kinda ruined the image, again I didn’t use it with the Herschel wedge, it’s a case of out of sight out of mind with me.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2022 at 19:17, Chaz2b said:

The Seymour is orange and I have a Baader continuum filter, I tried it with the tv 85 I had and it kinda ruined the image, again I didn’t use it with the Herschel wedge, it’s a case of out of sight out of mind with me.

That's interesting.  I've never used a Seymour filter so I've no idea what they are like.  Can you tell me in what way the continuum filter ruined the image with the TV85?

10 minutes ago, paulastro said:

That's interesting.  I've never used a Seymour filter so I've no idea what they are like.  Can you tell me in what way the continuum filter ruined the image with the TV85?

I would imagine that the Seymour filter allowing orange light through, would then produce a very dim image when filtered again on the green of the Continuum filter.

The Continuum will work best with true white light as you get from a Wedge or Baader Astrosolar film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I would imagine that the Seymour filter allowing orange light through, would then produce a very dim image when filtered again on the green of the Continuum filter.

The Continuum will work best with true white light as you get from a Wedge or Baader Astrosolar film.

Many thanks for that Stu.  I never thought of that, it seems obvious now you've explained it!  🙂.

Adding to what Stu has said, the Seymour filter gives off an orange hue, adding the green continuum filter dimmed and had a somewhat mushy look to it. I’ve used the continuum with the Herschel wedge and it was the scope size letting it down, 80mm, but now with 100mm Ed hopefully I should get better results.

I’m feeling a bit chuffed with having two C-Ed refractors, bit like finding hens teeth. I think the bresser might depart though!

Edited by Chaz2b

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2022 at 18:11, johninderby said:

The Seymour filter is a relatively thick plastic which is why I think it’s a bit dim.

Disappointing that Celestron didn’t promote the C-ED refractors more. Allways liked them. 👍🏻

I’m using the glass filters not plastic so cannot comment on those.

chaz