Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bright fireball 28 04 2022

ollypenrice

I was looking down at my feet to avoid falling over on my way down from our robotic sheds at 21:50 French time, 20:50 BST, when a diffuse flash of light in my peripheral vision made me look up and I caught a white fireball. It was heading from Zenith to south but the fact that it produced enough light to make me look up from the ground is quite exceptional.  It peaked at about 30 degrees above the horizon, which makes me wonder if the original flash which made me look up might have been from a different but related meteor, perhaps even brighter. We hadn't even reached astronomical darkness when this happened.

Olly

• Like 3

I had this a couple of weeks ago, I was looking near enough level with the horizon at the back of the camera, I had my woolly hat covering the tops of my eyes too but a bright light up above made me look up, I got to view a stunning meteor breaking up across the sky for around 4 seconds and it had a stunning green tail which made it extra special. I hadn't even begun imaging and it was already a great morning!

Edited by Rustang
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Rustang said:

I had this a couple of weeks ago, I was looking near enough level with the horizon at the back of the camera, I had my woolly hat covering the tops of my eyes too but a bright light up above made me look up, I got to view a stunning meteor breaking up across the sky for around 4 seconds and it had a stunning green tail which made it extra special. I hadn't even begun imaging and it was already a great morning!

I've seen colour twice but never green. The best was a bolide which fragmented in a flash of red and blue. The other was just red. The red and blue one was seen by several of us and we agreed on the colour. I was alone for the red one.

Olly

• Like 1

There was a big fireball over Shropshire recently and analysis of the images captured indicated fragments may have made it through to the ground, including my back garden!

I have had a look but alas no meteorite was found imbedded in my patio or driveway.

• Sad 1

@ollypenrice
I don't want to start anything political, but did you note that your bolides are the patriotic colours our two countries national flags...

red, white & blue 🇬🇧 & blue, white & red 🇫🇷

Are they 👽 communicating with us or telling us something? 😜

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Philip R said:

@ollypenrice
I don't want to start anything political, but did you note that your bolides are the patriotic colours our two countries national flags...

red, white & blue 🇬🇧 & blue, white & red 🇫🇷

Are they 👽 communicating with us or telling us something? 😜

A celebratory fly-by! Red Arrows and Patrouille de France...

Olly

• Haha 1