Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200pds vs Skymax 150 Pro vs Meade LX10 (de-forked) for planetary / lunar / solar imaging

Hi everyone

I am currently in the process of a major gear re-shuffle and trying to figure out a few things.

Until recently I have been using a Skywatcher 200pds for summer plantary / solar / lunar imaging, which i have been overall really happy with (Apart from trying to use and ADC with one). During the winter I would typically then switch over to a 130PDS.
Over the last 18 Months I have had somewhat of a break and ended up selling my 200PDS. Trying to get back into summer imaging I am now at a loss as to what to use.

I have an old De-forked Meade 8" LX10 that I can get a dovetail adapter for but never really done anything with. I also have the opportunity to get a skywatcher 150 Mak for a good price.
The other alternative is to buy another 200pds.

Cooldown time is not so much an issue as it will be stored in the obsy when in use over the summer season.

Out of these which would you all choose? 

This is going to be used just for imaging purposes and no visual work. I also have an ADC which I know from past experience will be a lot easier to use on either the MAK or SCT.

The obsy is very restrictive of space as well so this is the other consideration.

Any help / input would be great

Thanks in advance

Mark

Depends somewhat on the camera that you’re planning to use- but assuming the optics on the SCT are decent I think that’s likely to be better suited to planetary imaging- larger aperture than the mak and longer focal length than the newt, and easier to use with the adc…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catburglar said:

Depends somewhat on the camera that you’re planning to use- but assuming the optics on the SCT are decent I think that’s likely to be better suited to planetary imaging- larger aperture than the mak and longer focal length than the newt, and easier to use with the adc…

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

+1    🙂

Thanks Both

At present I need to get a new planetary camera as well as this was also sold.
I am looking to use my DSLR (Canon EOS R) for full face solar / lunar images and then getting some like the ASI178MM/MC for more close up imaging and planetary imaging.

If I go with the SCT route then I will need to get a dovetail adapter for it but those I can get from FLO.
My understanding is that the LX10 uses the same optics as the LX200 but the mount was different.