SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW iOptron SkyHunter Portable EQ/AZ GOTO Mount with iPolar

2 hours ago, vineyard said:

Huh, its not priced on the FLO website yet.  Crikey - I'd better get in there.  Did they give a lead time?  You're right on the SGPros.

It's priced. Not the version with iPolar but the AZ and the EQ versions. Time lead is 40-60 days 🙄

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mounts/ioptron-skyhunter-az-goto-mount-package.html

Edited by Doversole
Adding info
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I love the concept of this mount and find it a significant improvement (Belt drive) over the old SW AZ-GTi and more compact / portable (also Belt drive) with same capacity than the new SW SA-GTi. 
However, iOptron is making it hard to love it… 🤔

Wedge / EQ base is different. I have the original wedge and it is hard (time consuming due to overshooting) to adjust altitude for polar alignment. With entire mass of the mount and the OTA sitting on elongated lever this will be even harder.

iOptron SkyHunter wedge.jpg

Longer dovetail bar could be potential solution but it looks like the battery cover might be in the way.

iOptron SkyHunter wedge and mouint.jpg

Latitude Scale indicator seems beyond flimsy and looks like an afterthought.

iOptron SkyHunter latitude scale indicator.jpg

Can the internal battery be removed /replaced? I find Li-Poly potentially volatile in certain scenarios (hot car during summer).
Other head scratching thing is the decision to go with one mini-USB for charging (5V not 12V) and computer control. I am aware there is WiFi but prefer cable due to stability and battery consumption. How will this work in wintertime with long nights and sub-zero temperatures when the internal battery is depleted? Will the splitter cable work? Why mini-USB and not USB-C for a mount in 2022?

iOptron SkyHunter mini USB.jpg

Scenario where the Locking Lever is undone by DEC rotations and the scope slides out of the Vixen clamp.

iOptron SkyHunter Locking Lever.jpg

I do like option of a low latitude use, where the CW shaft can be threaded into the DEC Clutch Locking Knob to avoid CW hitting the tripod.

iOptron SkyHunter low latitude use.jpg

I would love to get this, but it just rubs me the wrong way. 😕

Edited by Dark Raven

The locking knob turny arm things (technical name I'm sure) can be pulled outwards in order to rotate their position without loosening them, if that makes any sense. So their angle/position can be changed to make sure it doesn't hit things. But yeah you're right about the iOptron base being a pain to adjust, especially in latitude as that big knob is easy to adjust upwards, but when lossening it jumps down quite substantially and if you have to adjust downwards for PA you'll often find yourself way overshooting and then adjust back up - which in turn is then really annoying if you overshoot again and have to adjust downwards. It's not a good wedge, at least in my experience. (I realise its slightly different to the one available with the SGP but it looks mechanically the same otherwise).

Edited by tompato

Yes mini USB over USB-C is actually a shocking design choice in this day and age and I can find no logical or technical reason why they would do such a thing. 

😕

Edited by Adam J

21 hours ago, Doversole said:

Has anyone find out whether it would be possible to reuse the WO wedge designed for the SkyguiderPro?

It's a much better wedge for PA.

Thanks!

That would be great. Even Omegon Deluxe Polar Wedge at half price of the WO wedge might be interesting.

2 hours ago, Dark Raven said:

That would be great. Even Omegon Deluxe Polar Wedge at half price of the WO wedge might be interesting.

Has anyone tried the Omegon Deluxe Wedge? It looks pretty solid, but I've not seen anyone using it or any reviews. I was tempted for my Az-Gti setup. (But off topic I know).

It looks like it has a fixed dovetail bar on the bottom of the Skyhunter so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use another brand wedge. Only question would be if it has enough clearance I guess as the one supplied has quite a long clamp that extends above the wedge somewhat.

18 hours ago, tompato said:

Has anyone tried the Omegon Deluxe Wedge? It looks pretty solid, but I've not seen anyone using it or any reviews. I was tempted for my Az-Gti setup. (But off topic I know).

It looks like it has a fixed dovetail bar on the bottom of the Skyhunter so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use another brand wedge. Only question would be if it has enough clearance I guess as the one supplied has quite a long clamp that extends above the wedge somewhat.

If I ever get this I will go with different wedge. I've only found a short demo video on YT ( /watch?v=YYQCyTg-Qv0&t=340s ). Not sure it's appropriate to post full off-topic video for FLO competition, hence just the abbreviated link. Sorry FLO...
Back on topic, the iOptron long clamp is needed due to their poorly designed short wedge and battery compartment ( I assume ) behind the RA gear. This might be actually a good thing as the SW AZ-GTi has battery compartment above the RA gear and the RA gear clutch is on a small pin to the side. This often wears out. iOptron has opted to go with full RA gear clutch directly on the gear and that, together with a belt drive is a good design choice.

Portability and those two good design choices is what is driving me towards the SkyHunter. I believe it will outperform the SW AZ-GTi and probably the SW SA-GTi as both are worm gear driven. My speculation for now until both are tested.
Only one USB port for computer control and for 5V charging together with mini USB in 2022 is what is putting me off because I would like to use it with ASIAIR Plus as ultra portable imaging setup. 

On the other hand mini USB is step forward from HBX ports on the iOptron Cube Pro. Perhaps I am overexaggerating my concern and it will have enough power for full winter night of slewing and guiding/tracking and WiFi control will be just fine like it most often is for SW AZ-GTi. Remains to be patient and see.

• 2 weeks later...

There is another Youtube video showing that the WO wedge won't fit. This is because the wedge is mounted the other way around at a 90 deg angle, and the travel course of the WO wedge doesn't allow that.....😒

I am not entirely sure it couldn't work in the UK though. It may be mainly an issue if you were using the low latitude version of the WO wedge (7-34 Deg -> which would be transformed in a 56-83 deg now), not so much with the high latitude wedge (32-59 deg).

I would love a clear confirmation. If I need to add another £110 to get the dodgy iOptron base or wait and pay another £200 for an updated WO base, it may be a killer for me...

Edited by Doversole

1 hour ago, metamorphosis1081 said:

I am getting one next week. I will report back on its compatibility with William Optics base. I am in MA (USA). 

am also interested in the skywatcher base. Will you post some guiding charts and commend on dithering / backlash if possible?

Adam

Thinking about it I do think the whole cant include a wedge as standard in the whole range thing when your paying 500+ is very very ribbish of ioptron. Main thing pusing me to the skywatcher.

Adam

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

Thinking about it I do think the whole cant include a wedge as standard in the whole range thing when your paying 500+ is very very ribbish of ioptron. Main thing pusing me to the skywatcher.

Adam

This was my thinking also, reason i pushed the button on the SW.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...