SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Phoenix Park Papal Cross Star Trails

Hi All,

Star Trails taken over the Papal Cross in Dublin's Phoenix Park, pretty happy with it but a poor time to discover the D5300's internal intervalometer will only run for 20 or so minutes at a time.

Roughly 1hr of exposure before the battery died.

Thanks for looking.

image.jpeg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

Lovely composition. 👍 I get really quite cross about the fact that so many dslrs have such dreadful intervalometers on board, if any at all!!

Thank you.

Thought I could get away with the on board as the exposures were limited to 30sec by light pollution, lesson learned I suppose, the rest of the clear nights that week were marred by high winds preventing me reshooting it any time soon.

Hi,

I've never heard of the D5300 intervalometer only working for 20 minutes or so. I've downloaded the manual and it doesn't mention it there. I also looked at a few other sites and they say it will take 999 consecutive shots ! Where have you got this information from or have you found it by using the intervalometer ?

If it's the latter then I think you've made some error. 

If you are doing 30 second exposures what intervals are you setting ? I take it you know that the interval isn't the gap between the shots but the start of the shots ie. if the exposure time is 30 seconds then the interval time must be longer than 30 seconds.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, davew said:

Hi,

I've never heard of the D5300 intervalometer only working for 20 minutes or so. I've downloaded the manual and it doesn't mention it there. I also looked at a few other sites and they say it will take 999 consecutive shots ! Where have you got this information from or have you found it by using the intervalometer ?

If it's the latter then I think you've made some error. 

If you are doing 30 second exposures what intervals are you setting ? I take it you know that the interval isn't the gap between the shots but the start of the shots ie. if the exposure time is 30 seconds then the interval time must be longer than 30 seconds.

Dave.

I think you are right, I had the interval down as 1sec where I should have put it to 31sec if i had wanted a 1sec delay between shots.

I had forgotten that the interval is, as you say, from start of shot to start of next.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crackabarrel said:

I think you are right, I had the interval down as 1sec where I should have put it to 31sec if i had wanted a 1sec delay between shots.

I had forgotten that the interval is, as you say, from start of shot to start of next.

Cheers.

I'd check that 1 second is ok before you invest in an all night session ! Some slow cards may require a 2 second gap but 1 second is best if you can.

You should also be able to collect over 600 images with a fully charged battery. Do all your sorting out at home ( Exposure and intervalometer settings ), then recharge and then shoot 😎

I also forgot to say the photo was nice with good colour coming through on the stars and a nicely illuminated cross.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, davew said:

I'd check that 1 second is ok before you invest in an all night session ! Some slow cards may require a 2 second gap but 1 second is best if you can.

You should also be able to collect over 600 images with a fully charged battery. Do all your sorting out at home ( Exposure and intervalometer settings ), then recharge and then shoot 😎

I also forgot to say the photo was nice with good colour coming through on the stars and a nicely illuminated cross.

Dave.

The 1 second delay is fine, my card is quick enough but yeh I should have charged the battery after the days shooting and confirmed how it all worked.

Cheers thank you, the light pollution from the city was good for something for once.

• Like 1