SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 5033, The Waterbug Galaxy

tomato

This is another collaborative effort, NGC 5033 in Canes Venatici. It is some 64 M light years distance, and is about 4' x 2' in size on the sky.

This is about 11 hrs of integration made up of 150 mins from @Tomatobro's RC10/ASI600, and 510 mins from the Dual Esprit 150/ASI 178 rig, all data binned 2x2 and captured over 3 nights. Rather than taking the easy way out and cropping to the ASI 178 FOV I have retained most of the wider ASI1600 view which meant I had to try and smooth out the disparity between the two backgrounds, given the big difference in integration times. However,  you can still see the join in places I’m afraid. 

There was also a big difference in the quality of the data collected from both scopes over the 3 sessions. Last Saturday night  was an excellent sky in Shropshire, NINA was recording HFRs on my rig of 1.2 vs 1.8 which is usually the norm, but the poorer quality data was still needed to complete the image.

Calibrated and stacked in APP, processed in APP, PI, AP and GIMP.

Thanks for looking.

NGC5033_TCSC_LRGB_2x2_11hrs-LRGB_1--90degCW-1.0x-LZ3-NS-StAPG.thumb.jpg.ed930e6c03284f1a83bfe26d4e103150.jpg

• Like 27

Thanks, I came across it while looking through Adam Block’s galaxy images. I really like the orientation which gives an almost 3D view on his image, mind you it was taken with a 32” RC from Arizona by someone who knows what he’s doing.☺️

• Like 1

Excellent. I've seen this galaxy come up in Aladin searches a few times, but never thought more of it. With your fl/chip size you've really done it justice.

Will you collect more data? I think this galaxy could have some very nice Ha regions.

Edit: just searched the interweb, and found Block's image which confirmed my guess.

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alan potts said:

Never seen that one before, outstanding for such a dim object, small too I would think.

Alan

9.55 x 4.07 arc minutes according to Aladin with a magnitude of 11 (quite dim).

@tomato where did you find the 4 x 2 arc minutes?

Edited by wimvb

2 hours ago, wimvb said:

9.55 x 4.07 arc minutes according to Aladin with a magnitude of 11 (quite dim).

@tomato where did you find the 4 x 2 arc minutes?

Stellarium states the size at 3' 46.98" x 1' 42.12".  Yes, AB's image is a superb, with lots of Ha regions prominent. I could take some Ha now the moon is getting dominant, but I've just put the IMX571 OSC cameras on for a mosaic attempt on the Virgo cluster, but I could ask @Tomatobro to have a go with his RC.

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Super. It's great to get such a good view of irregularities in a galactic plane.

How 'ethical' do you want your background sky to be?  There are ways...

:Dlly

Thanks Olly, but  if I can't fix it with a single button push, I'm afraid I'll have to pass.😉  The best solution for me  is to wait until  @Tomatobro has taken  8 hrs of subs.

• Like 1