Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starlight finder scope mount UNC screws

The starlight focuser finder scope mounting point has UNC 8-32 button screws.

The hex like bolt head is somewhere between a 2-2.5 mm hex bolt head size for an Allen key. 

Searching an Amazon I cannot find an equivalent set of UNC sized Allen keys, do they even exist?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

The starlight focuser finder scope mounting point has UNC 8-32 button screws.

The hex like bolt head is somewhere between a 2-2.5 mm hex bolt head size for an Allen key. 

Searching an Amazon I cannot find an equivalent set of UNC sized Allen keys, do they even exist?

Yes search for imperial allen keys.

Steve

1 minute ago, Len1257 said:

Quick Google to my usual fastener sources and https://www.gwr-fasteners.co.uk/8-32-x-38-unc-socket-button-head-screws---a2-stainless-steel-71010-p.asp reveals it to be 3/32 inch size. Available all over.........

Tend to stay away from Amazon for tools..........

I was just about to post that an imperial key between 2 and 2.5 mm is 3/32" 🙂 

Steve

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Are you sure the screws are UNC ? I have found most telescopes use M3/4/5 screws. If you want to make sure let me know the approximate size and length and I will send you some to try.

https://www.telescopengineering.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/160-Manual.pdf

Sew page 3, other source available:

1. 6.5  Finder Base Screw Holes (Plugged 6.3 with (2), 8-32 Button Head Screws)

7 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

UNC and Imperial I thought where different.

UNC is just a type of imperial thread sizes (Unified National Coarse) and so is dimensioned in inches and requires imperial allen keys.

There were are many different types of imperial threads UNC, UNF, BSW, BSF are probably the common ones. Since Europe went metric they are not very common in Europe but many things manufactured in US for example still have imperial threads.

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

UNC is just a type of imperial thread sizes (Unified National Coarse) and so is dimensioned in inches and requires imperial allen keys.

There were are many different types of imperial threads UNC, UNF, BSW, BSF are probably the common ones. Since Europe went metric they are not very common in Europe but many things manufactured in US for example still have imperial threads.

Steve

Yes, I know, if only the US would move over too. However I suspect unless they have a Mariner type incident (imperial to metric conversion in software) this will never happen.

I know the thread pitch argument etc for not moving however outside of US causes no problems...

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1