SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A night under the milky sky

Kon

No it is not a typo, milky sky indeed not Milky Way. The past couple of weeks seeing seems to be ok but transparency awful for faint fuzzies. I was out at ~745 to image ISS with my 8" Dob and I then turned to Leo for some galaxies. I could hardly see the triplet so i thought it is not worth my time. I moved to Auriga and took a look at the open clusters M36 and M38, NGC1778 and finally NGC1893. At this stage I was getting frustrated that the transparency was awful and I had an early finish with the Persei double cluster.

I was on my way to bed around midnight when I noticed that I could see more stars than earlier, so transparency had improved. I do not know if it was a coincidence but it also got colder. I got the Dob out again and Leo was positioned really nicely on my S view. The Leo triplet looked a lot better than earlier with M65/66 and NGC3628 in the same FOV. Transparency was ok since NGC3628 was barely visible. A quick look on M105 (no sign of NGC3384) and M96. I then moved to Markarian's chain. A speeded view even under the milky conditions. The brighter galaxies were showing really nicely and you could make the chain of galaxies as I was moving the EP around. 

Moving to Come Berenices, the transparency seemed to have improved. I easily spotted the NGC4494. I was no hopeful but I tried the galaxy C38. OMG moment. I had not seen it before and despite being a mag 12.8 galaxy it was showing under the conditions. At log mag I could make the needle shape of the galaxy and when I upped the mag it made the background darker and it popped with some more features. C36 above looked ok without much structure to it. Further up, I had a look at Whale galaxy (C32) and Hockey stick (NGC4656/57). At high mag the NGC4627 above the C32 was showing nicely. The Hockey stick showed a dispersed light with a lighter and fainter sides. I was very happy wit these observations. 

It was 130am at Hercules was rising from E. I had to have a look at M13. At low mag I could see fuzzy ball of stars and the NGC6207 (barely) in the same FOV. Going up with the magnification, stars could be resolved in the core. With averted vision I could make some stars extended from the core at around 11 and 2 oclock Dob view. I also remembered a discussion in this forum about Herschel's hair. I think I could just about make it in the core (looking a bit like a Y shaped feature) but I want to verify under good seeing. I finished my session with M92. Some stars could be resolved but coming from M13 is not as spectacular.

So despite the milky sky, I managed a fantastic session at the early hours of the morning. I think my highlight was C38 since it was a new target to me but also with more experience looking at M13.

• Like 9

Nice report!

These galaxies (Needle and Whale) are spectacular on a really transparent night.  Did you see NGC 4656's companion (NGC 4657)?  I seem to remember I found that rather more difficult to see and had to wait for a better transparent night.

Another to consider a the moment to view around midnight to 1am while it's at its best position is M104 (Sombrero galaxy).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davesellars said:

Nice report!

These galaxies (Needle and Whale) are spectacular on a really transparent night.  Did you see NGC 4656's companion (NGC 4657)?  I seem to remember I found that rather more difficult to see and had to wait for a better transparent night.

Another to consider a the moment to view around midnight to 1am while it's at its best position is M104 (Sombrero galaxy).

It was just about there, a very faint smudge. I tried for Sombrero but my low S horizon had awful haze; I saw it last year and it was amazing. 

Great report as always Kostas! Your descriptions of those galaxies is awesome, especially the Needle Galaxy. I look forward to diving deep into Leo, Virgo and Coma Berenices this year. Well done having a good session in those milky conditions.

• Thanks 1

I have had my fair share of milky skies over the last 3 weeks forecasts where wrong in every app I used.

Great report it just shows that in even not very favourable skies there are still plenty of objects to be had.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I have had my fair share of milky skies over the last 3 weeks forecasts where wrong in every app I used.

Great report it just shows that in even not very favourable skies there are still plenty of objects to be had.

I think we need to take any opportunity we have with this unpredictable weather.

• Like 1