Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tak 100DZ - Focuser Housing - should it rotate?

Hi All

Is the focuser housing / draw tube assembly designed to rotate within the main tube by design? 

No mention of this in the manual.

Any feedback appreciated.

Mmmm that doesn't sound right. Mine was not freely rotating and it only rotated a very small amount caused by the small gap between the focuser rack in its channel 

Malcolm

Edited by MalcolmM
Adding 'not' !

2 hours ago, PatG said:

Hi All

Is the focuser housing / draw tube assembly designed to rotate within the main tube by design? 

No mention of this in the manual.

Any feedback appreciated.

I have the DZ and the focuser is not meant to rotate.

The good news is that it probably just needs tightening up by gently rotating it clockwise.

But it would probably be a good idea to speak to your supplier first.

Edited by dweller25

Caution. I’m not completely sure what you mean. I think the whole focuser unit unscrews at the silver ring. So if you keep turning it will come off. If you mean the smaller draw tube with the rack mechanism, that definitely should not rotate.

• Like 2

That looks to me like you just have to keep turning it clockwise to screw the part in properly. But I would double check first with the supplier, maybe send them the video, or wait for Jeremy and/or dweller's opinion.

Malcolm

• 1 year later...
On 21/03/2022 at 20:55, JeremyS said:

Glad this is resolved. Some people screw the focuser off to reduce the length of the OTA to make it airline portable.

You have a cracking scope @PatG 👍🏻

Is the DZ actually cabin bag compatible if you just unscrew the focuser?  I had always excluded the DZ as a possibility as I would want a scope that can come abroad with me.  Assumed that meant DC only.

26 minutes ago, DirkSteele said:

Is the DZ actually cabin bag compatible if you just unscrew the focuser?  I had always excluded the DZ as a possibility as I would want a scope that can come abroad with me.  Assumed that meant DC only.

I was referring to the OP’s DC.  Stu described this a few years ago.

19 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I was referring to the OP’s DC.  Stu described this a few years ago.

Sorry misread, thought the original question was about the DZ.  I saw what Stu did to take abroad.  Tempting to get a light weight 4" scope.  Love the LZOS 105 but the weight means the mount and tripod need to be far more robust.

12 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Sorry misread, thought the original question was about the DZ.  I saw what Stu did to take abroad.  Tempting to get a light weight 4" scope.  Love the LZOS 105 but the weight means the mount and tripod need to be far more robust.

They are other options, this 3.5 kg tripod (Supermount) and 4 kg mount (HAZ31) makes a 130 mm grab n’go

Perfect for taxi trips…

image.png.c8c4f2e9e111d6f435cb17879bea1a22.png

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1