SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fun is.......

I discovered technetium stars this week. These are old stars with far too much radioactive heavy metals in their atmosphere for their own good. They have a dead core, surrounded by a helium-fusing shell, surrounded by a hydrogen-fusing shell, and the heavy metals are formed in the boundary between these two shells by the s-process (slow neutron capture). The presence of technetium (a shortlived radioactive isotope) in the atmospheres of these old stars proves that stars form heavy elements as the technetium must have been formed recently.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 5

Ouch! Poor you......and I don't suppose knowing the photons from your target took umpteen thousand years to reach you (which puts your tooth into perspective) is any consolation at all! 😥

• Like 1

20 hours ago, saac said:

Skateboarding on way home from work as the better weather arrives :) 

Jim

Back foot slipped off pushing off on Saturday at Livi skatepark. Board and front foot shot off into the distance resulting in an incredibly painful pulled hamstring and a bruise from behind my knee up to my left 'cheek'. Skateboarding stopped being fun for a few hours. :( 

Graeme

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jacko61 said:

Back foot slipped off pushing off on Saturday at Livi skatepark. Board and front foot shot off into the distance resulting in an incredibly painful pulled hamstring and a bruise from behind my knee up to my left 'cheek'. Skateboarding stopped being fun for a few hours. :( 

Graeme

Ouch, rest well and hope you are pushing the board soon :) 

Jim 

2 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I'm sure it's fun, but to me skateboarding shares with windsurfing the title of the silliest way to get from A to B that man has ever devised! 😛😄

You have never skated then - it is utterly sublime.  It's not so much about getting from A to B rather than just being in the moment :) 

Jim 

2 minutes ago, saac said:

You have never skated then - it is utterly sublime.  It's not so much about getting from A to B rather than just being in the moment :) 

Jim 

I actually, I have tried skateboarding.......not for me, though. And I think you've missed the tongue-firmly-in-cheek slant.....😛

1 minute ago, cajen2 said:

I've done windsurfing several times too.....but as a confirmed sailor, I still think it's silly! 😄

Now sailing - you will never get me on the water, too wet and way too windy, brrr I feel cold just thinking about it.  Funny, I don't mind being in or under the water just not sitting on it get sprayed.   What a wimp :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, saac said:

Now sailing - you will never get me on the water, too wet and way too windy, brrr I feel cold just thinking about it.  Funny, I don't mind being in or under the water just not sitting on it get sprayed.   What a wimp :) 

Jim 

So you've never been out in the middle of the night in freezing weather, then? 😄😛

One of the best nights in my life was on a boat.....alone at the helm of a 35 foot yawl on the east coast of Malaysia as a teenager. Everyone else was asleep, the Milky Way was glorious, the water was full of phosphorescence....it has never got better than that.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

So you've never been out in the middle of the night in freezing weather, then? 😄😛

First thing I did when I built my observatory was lay the data cable to house  -  any fool can be uncomfortable .  I told you I am a fully paid up wimp :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

One of the best nights in my life was on a boat.....alone at the helm of a 35 foot yawl on the east coast of Malaysia as a teenager. Everyone else was asleep, the Milky Way was glorious, the water was full of phosphorescence....it has never got better than that.

Now that actually sounds amazing.

Jim

• Like 1