Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If you can find one of the Philips webcams, it's as easy as removing the camera lens ( just unscrews) and buying a C to 1.25" adaptor, and screwing this into the webcam body.

This allows you to put the webcam into the focuser, just like an eyepiece and voila- you have images on your screen!!

http://firstlightoptics.com/products.php?cat=55&pg=2

post-15261-133877360132_thumb.jpg

most cheap webcams are cmos, very hard to get a decent image because they are not very good in the dark. The philips (I use philips spc900, cheapest at amazon) they use ccd, and very good ccd for the price.

The method I use is to take a video of the object and then stack the frames using k3ccd or registax. Both programs have tutorials online and its not reallly particularly hard. I use the 1.25 adapter as shown above.

Both of these vids of mine were done using the spc900, a homemade toilet roll based fitment and a cheap tasco 114mm reflector. Total cost of setup about £60 or so. Not including the laptop of course.

The saturn one shows just how powerful frame stacking is.

Archived