Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do I test my USB cables to check if they are working correctly.

Hi ...

I have several USB cables linking up my scope, camera, focuser, etc. to my computer .... and I would like to check if all of these cables are working 100%.

I have been having some intermittent problems with my set-up and I suspect that I might have some iffy USB cables. 

Rather than just buying a load of new replacement cables willy-nilly are there any simple USB cables testers available out there???? I can't spot any so far 😞

Mike

40 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Are you using individual cables for each device or have you added extensions? Are you using a USB hub or direct connection to your PC?

Hi David ....

Some of my cables are direct connections to equipment and others go via a HiTech Powered hub.

49 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

Something like this might work, not used it myselff but seems ok on the surface. It is prime so if you have it, it is easy to return.

Yihaifu M726AT Cable Tester Multi-Modular Multifunction USB RJ45 Cable Tester LAN RJ-11 Wire LAN Network Ethernet Line Checker : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Thanks for this suggestion .... I will give it a try

Mike

46 minutes ago, SlimPaling said:

Hi David ....

Some of my cables are direct connections to equipment and others go via a HiTech Powered hub.

I would try each device individually connected to the PC with its respective cable. If all OK, you can rule actual cables out and then try through hub etc. Doesn't cost you anything at the moment to do this before spending money on new cables.

2 hours ago, SlimPaling said:

Hi ...

I have several USB cables linking up my scope, camera, focuser, etc. to my computer .... and I would like to check if all of these cables are working 100%.

I have been having some intermittent problems with my set-up and I suspect that I might have some iffy USB cables. 

Rather than just buying a load of new replacement cables willy-nilly are there any simple USB cables testers available out there???? I can't spot any so far 😞

Mike

Hi

From my experience as an IT consultant in a former life, a cheap tester will show continuity but not how the cable would function in real life.  Are you using USB3 and how long are the individual cables and how long is the run to the PC?

You'll need new cables at some point, anyway. Personally I have a stock of the things for this reason.  If you swap a suspect cable and it proves to be innocent you can just put the new one back into stock for when one of the old ones does fail - as it will. Remember that this failure will happen on a Friday night with three clear nights on the forecast...

Olly

16 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

You'll need new cables at some point, anyway. Personally I have a stock of the things for this reason.  If you swap a suspect cable and it proves to be innocent you can just put the new one back into stock for when one of the old ones does fail - as it will. Remember that this failure will happen on a Friday night with three clear nights on the forecast...

Olly

And as Olly rightly states in his signature, he has too many cables 😂

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Varavall said:

Hi

From my experience as an IT consultant in a former life, a cheap tester will show continuity but not how the cable would function in real life.  Are you using USB3 and how long are the individual cables and how long is the run to the PC?

I have no experience with these kind of things but I read the blurb and it seemed ok. Not sure what it all means though so maybe you can help out here.  See below

Designed to easily test and read the correct cable pin out configuration.
This cable tester can accurately test USB/LAN, RJ45 multi-modular cables.
The LAN/USB cable tester tests RJ11/RJ12 cable please use the appropriate adapors and follow the above procedure, so you can use it very easy and correct.
It can easily clarify cable, continuity, open and short. The remote unit allows you to test cables installed far away with the auto-test mode and with the easy to read 9 LED indicators for testing each pin.

27 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

I have no experience with these kind of things but I read the blurb and it seemed ok. Not sure what it all means though so maybe you can help out here.  See below

Designed to easily test and read the correct cable pin out configuration.
This cable tester can accurately test USB/LAN, RJ45 multi-modular cables.
The LAN/USB cable tester tests RJ11/RJ12 cable please use the appropriate adapors and follow the above procedure, so you can use it very easy and correct.
It can easily clarify cable, continuity, open and short. The remote unit allows you to test cables installed far away with the auto-test mode and with the easy to read 9 LED indicators for testing each pin.

The tester only seems to check pin-out, that is each internal cable is connected to the correct pin. This will not help to determine if the cable functions correctly in use. I had intermittent problems with my rig (10m run USB connection for EFW, EAF, ZWO 1600MM, ZWO 120MC, HEQ5) and my solution was a Startech powered  industrial 10m USB 3 cable connected to the 1600MM and connecting the EFW and HEQ5 to the USB hub on the camera and the rest of the kit to a USB 2 hub connected to a powered USB 2 10m cable. So that's 2 cables to the PC. Forget about Amazon basics cables and hubs, good for 50cm!