SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is Zeiss lens wipes good for cleaning maksutov telescope mirrors?

Good for spectacles and the glass on cell phones but i wouldn't use them to clean optics (definitely not mirrors) or eyepieces or camera lenses  /  binocular optics.

If you really need to clean your optics use Baader optical wonder fluid and the supplied cloth it comes with. FLO sell it. But be careful.

10 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Good for spectacles and the glass on cell phones but i wouldn't use them to clean optics (definitely not mirrors) or eyepieces or camera lenses  /  binocular optics.

If you really need to clean your optics use Baader optical wonder fluid and the supplied cloth it comes with. FLO sell it. But be careful.

bought, thank you :)

You should only really think about cleaning the mirrors on a Maksutov if they are really dirty which is difficult to occur due to the sealed design of the optics. If you are intent on cleaning your mirrors then you shouldn’t be using any lens cleaning product whatsoever. Instead you should only use a weak soap solution in water and very gently, using proper untreated cotton balls wipe the mirror surface from centre to edge and repeat with a clean cotton ball each wipe. Once you have wiped the entire surface you should then rinse the mirror with distilled water and allow to dry. I have a box of the Zeiss cleaning swabs and the spray fluid which I use for cleaning my eyepiece barrels but never the lenses. For the lenses I use ROR with a high quality micro fibre cloth like the Calotherm or Baader. Be extra gentle with the secondary mirror.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

No comment on telescope optics, but I have used these for years to clean camera lenses without any issues.