SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Open air observatory

2 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

One dark site AirBnb that I rent has a huge grain elevator to the SSW.  That thing creates its own light bubble out in the corn fields.  😛

Luckily, it's far enough away that it only comes up about 10* above the horizon. 

This place has grown so much since I was a kid.  The light coming off the fertilizer side is just crazy now.  I will get it beat yet

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a few uses it was determined that another section was going to be needed.  So today I added a 4 foot section that would block light and still let me use the grain leg at the co-op as a sight in point.  I used the left over lattice to give the creeping plants something to hold onto as they make their way up and add to the light blocking.  Not a bad way to spend a couple hours.  I know there are a few of you that liked the power tool shots before....so I will include a picture or two of them as well.  I ended the evolution with a distinctly American summer drink.....ice tea

IMG_20220604_134157834.jpg

IMG_20220604_145755703_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220604_142726385_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220604_142731505_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220604_142735064_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220604_143219961_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220604_115149564.jpg

9 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Looking good Mike.

Shots of tools- powered or otherwise are always welcome, especially unusual tools that get the mind working.

Ok...these are normal run of the tools that I use frequently.  What ones do you consider unusual?

3 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

Ok...these are normal run of the tools that I use frequently.  What ones do you consider unusual?

I had to look twice at what I think is your post hole digger before I twigged what it was.

I'm used to seeing them as a two handle set up.

• Like 1

I have dug many holes with the two handled diggers and the it takes forever to dig.  This auger model, that has to be 50 years old, if not older, dug the hole in well under five minutes.  

6 hours ago, Mike Q said:

I have dug many holes with the two handled diggers and the it takes forever to dig.  This auger model, that has to be 50 years old, if not older, dug the hole in well under five minutes.  

I don't have one of those old school diggers so I went with this.....It makes short work of making holes even in the rock hard dirt of west Texas. (^8

40v auger2.jpg

SB with pier.JPG

Edited by CCD-Freak
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CCD-Freak said:

I don't have one of those old school diggers so I went with this.....It makes short work of making holes even in the rock hard dirt of west Texas. (^8

40v auger2.jpg

SB with pier.JPG

When I initially was planning this project a d thought I would be doing 8 or 10 holes I gave one of those some thought.  But this old school digger does such a good job I just use it.  

16 hours ago, Mike Q said:

When I initially was planning this project a d thought I would be doing 8 or 10 holes I gave one of those some thought.  But this old school digger does such a good job I just use it.  

I tried to find one of those many years ago but no luck....and they did not make the electric ones back then either.

9 hours ago, CCD-Freak said:

I tried to find one of those many years ago but no luck....and they did not make the electric ones back then either.

This digger has to be 50 or 60 years old.  I have used the other kind of manual diggers and this thing blows it away

1 hour ago, Mike Q said:

This digger has to be 50 or 60 years old.  I have used the other kind of manual diggers and this thing blows it away

I used one of those a long time ago and was amazed at how well it worked....that is why I was looking for one to buy.

4 minutes ago, CCD-Freak said:

I used one of those a long time ago and was amazed at how well it worked....that is why I was looking for one to buy.

I had to fix this one.  It was broken down where the shaft met the cutter head.  I did look online for one but all I could find was the two handled models or auger type.  I was able to fix this one with a bit of welding and a 3/4 pipe nipple.  

1 hour ago, jjohnson3803 said:

How much of that glass is bourbon?  😎

None.  I would never mess up good bourbon by polluting it with tea

1 hour ago, CCD-Freak said:

So maybe it is "Long Island Iced Tea"  (^8

Oh no way.  I had a bad experience with that once when I was 20.  Have not had one since.  Honestly it just plain old black tea with one bag of earl grey.  Honest ...no booze of any variation.

• 1 month later...

So while I am a ways from doing it yet, a 16 inch dob will be in my future.  I am now spending some time trying to figure out exactly where I am going to put it and what changes I will have to make to accommodate a new and significantly bigger scope 

2 hours ago, Mike Q said:

So while I am a ways from doing it yet, a 16 inch dob will be in my future.  I am now spending some time trying to figure out exactly where I am going to put it and what changes I will have to make to accommodate a new and significantly bigger scope 

What you need is a Khazi! 😛

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cajen2 said:

What you need is a Khazi! 😛

No...no I don't.  I have a cart that moves everything just fine thank you very much

• 3 months later...
On 25/10/2022 at 23:45, Mike Q said:

Spent some time this evening walking around the observation area trying to determine a good spot for scope number 2

2 scopes, so alongside or another spot near by Mike?
I take it this is the larger incoming dob.

8 hours ago, Alan White said:

2 scopes, so alongside or another spot near by Mike?
I take it this is the larger incoming dob.

Well.... I made a cart for it so i wont really have to do anything to the area in the way of moving dirt.  I may have to add another section to the light barrier. I just need to drag it out there and play around with it in different spots and see what works. 

4 hours ago, cajen2 said:

You should see the dolly design, too, with levelling feet.

You know.... I could post a picture of it.  Even though i am still waiting on the handle