Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open air observatory

I am sure that is probably NEVER going to happen.  There would be a better chance of me learning temperature in C..... that isn't happening either

25 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

I am sure that is probably NEVER going to happen.  There would be a better chance of me learning temperature in C..... that isn't happening either

I said the same many years ago when the change happened; now I don't even think about it.

6 hours ago, Mike Q said:

Take off 30 and half what's left!

13 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Take off 30 and half what's left!

So it is 21c at the moment..... 21 is a cold temp in my part of the world, 72 is warm lol

7 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Mike, I've just re-read the whole thread. You've done a cracking job and kept us all entertained too. Kudos.

Man you must be bored to re-read this thread lol.  I do go back now and again and see how or why i did something a specific way.  Like the original dob cart.   The concept was good the execution not so much, but it did lead me in the right direction on the Mark II model, so something good came out of it after all. 

1 hour ago, Saganite said:

Only just discovered this thread and am enjoying it greatly. Keep the images and the humorous comments coming....👍

You are welcome.  The project is more or less done with maybe a tweak here or there coming.  Glad i could keep you entertained lol

On 18/02/2023 at 09:33, saac said:

Sometimes "just getting on with it" is the best way Mike. leave the fancy stuff for when it is needed :)  I must admit, I do like your wooden cart. I have been thinking about how I could make something to help move about a 16 inch Dob, it has a 34 inch circular base and is getting a bit heavy to manhandle. I think I may try to base something around your design if you don't mind.  

Jim

So did you ever design and build a cart for your scope?  If you did i would sure love to see it 

3 hours ago, Mike Q said:

So did you ever design and build a cart for your scope?  If you did i would sure love to see it 

Not yet Mike but it is a project that I need to get around to in the next year. The Dob is a school telescope and at the moment whenever we travel to our remote site it takes a bit of heavy lifting. I'm working up a plan of approach to involve our metal shop department to get involved; they have welding skills :)

How has yours been shaking down, have you given it much use and is the design holding up?

Jim

Edited by saac

7 minutes ago, saac said:

Not yet Mike but it is a project that I need to get around to in the next year. The Dob is a school telescope and at the moment whenever we travel to our remote site it takes a bit of heavy lifting. I'm working up a plan of approach to involve our metal shop department to get involved; they have welding skills :)

How has yours been shaking down, have you given it much use and is the design holding up?

Jim

The wooden dob cart just didnt work out as well as i liked.  It was ok at best.  So i made one out of metal and it is so much better.  I will attach the pictures of it here and please feel free to steal any ideas you want. 

IMG_20230219_142730704.jpg

IMG_20230211_144711183_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230218_162137035.jpg

IMG_20230219_152900739.jpg

IMG_20230211_155627717.jpg

IMG_20230218_155836417.jpg

IMG_20230219_145944780.jpg