NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another M81

Adreneline

Whilst still trying to fine tune (still some way to go) and get used to my new AZ-EQ6 I decided to point the 6" RC at M81.

This is 24 x 300s with the RC + ASI294MC. I think I need to add some Lum and some Ha; I might need to attach the ASI1600 to the RC next time it's clear.

M81-v5.thumb.jpg.fb0058649d0004faa2e0a4d423d435df.jpg

I think I also need to fine tune my flats for the RC - and tweak the collimation if I dare.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Image update
  • Like 18

17 minutes ago, vineyard said:

Could you do an HDR composition w separate (quicker) exposures for the core and then combined?

Quite possibly! The central core lacks detail - definitely blown out I'm afraid. I didn't really plan this image - it just kinda' happened. At the time I was more taken with making sure the guiding was working and the comms between the ASIair and mount were all behaving - collecting data on M81 was almost a side show. I do need to go back now though and get some shorter exposure subs and also some Ha and L, in fact L alone may help reveal the core detail.

There's a few other issues in the image as well with some rogue stars which I think are probably down to some inept processing.

Glad you like the arms though :) 

Adrian

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 00:34, Adreneline said:

Whilst still trying to fine tune (still some way to go) and get used to my new AZ-EQ6 I decided to point the 6" RC at M81.

This is 24 x 300s with the RC + ASI294MC. I think I need to add some Lum and some Ha; I might need to attach the ASI1600 to the RC next time it's clear.

M81-v5.thumb.jpg.fb0058649d0004faa2e0a4d423d435df.jpg

I think I also need to fine tune my flats for the RC - and tweak the collimation if I dare.

Thanks for looking.

Adrian

Really nice image there Adrian & good to see what the RC 6" can do. I'll DM you later this evening 🙂

• Thanks 1

A wonderfully detailed image! as for the core being blown out, where? meaning that tiny point in the centre where even if it weren't so bright there would be no detail visible in such a small point anyway. I'm not an imager and no offense intended but i do think that imagers tend to split hairs, it is a beautiful image!

Edited by Sunshine

17 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

A wonderfully detailed image! as for the core being blown out, where? meaning that tiny point in the centre where even if it weren't so bright there would be no detail visible in such a small point anyway. I'm not an imager and no offense intended but i do think that imagers sometimes love to split hairs a hundred ways, it is a beautiful image!

I prefer splitting the hairs 500 times.....Just to make sure 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, Sunshine said:

I have changed the original post so as not to sound abrasive which is never my intention.

Sorry, I wasn't having a go I was just joking. I didn't think for a minute there was any negativity in your comment 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sunshine said:

A wonderfully detailed image! as for the core being blown out, where? meaning that tiny point in the centre where even if it weren't so bright there would be no detail visible in such a small point anyway. I'm not an imager and no offense intended but i do think that imagers tend to split hairs, it is a beautiful image!

Thank you @Sunshine for your very kind and generous comments. You are of course correct - imagers can become obsessive because even if you don't think it can be any better someone else will think differently. I've just taken some real Luminance (as opposed to creating it from my osc image) and some Ha so I am hoping I can tease out a little more detail in the arms and, you never know(!), maybe a little more detail in the core. So many images of M81 appear quite planar and 2D and I was trying to reveal some of the depth (3D) structure of the arms. Thank you again - I'm delighted you like the image.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
Clarification
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nephilim said:

I prefer splitting the hairs 500 times.....Just to make sure 🙂

Haha! Well the problem is Steve what little bit of hair I have left is not up for splitting - the thatch has disappeared on most of my roof line - which is only beneficial when I am moving at speed.

"Onward and upward" as my mother used to say :)

• Haha 1