SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 to HEQ5

If I understand your question correctly then I don't believe you can use any of your EQ5 to upgrade to and HEQ5 (other than the tripod, synscan handset and cable; unless you can buy individual component parts I suppose) - they're different models. 

Sky-Watcher EQ5 PRO Go-To Astronomy Mount | First Light Optics

Sky-Watcher HEQ5 PRO Go-To Astronomy Mount | First Light Optics

Stu

17 hours ago, tickmatrix said:

ok thanks. I just wondered if the tri pods are the same and if so is anything else so I can re-use what I can and reduce cost

The stock tripod for Skywatcher EQ mounts comes as part of the package. I don't remember any retailers in the UK who offer these mounts as mount head only (ie. no tripod included). 

Edited by KP82
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/02/2022 at 17:33, tickmatrix said:

ok thanks. I just wondered if the tri pods are the same and if so is anything else so I can re-use what I can and reduce cost

Tripods are identical, as is the hand controller. You might get lucky and find someone selling a secondhand HEQ5 head only, I'm not sure if any retailers sell the mount head on its own. I did recently see a tripod sell secondhand for around £100 if that helps, seems there must be some demand for them.

Edited by chewie

1 hour ago, chewie said:

Tripods are identical, as is the hand controller. You might get lucky and find someone selling a secondhand HEQ5 head only, I'm not sure if any retailers sell the mount head on its own. I did recently see a tripod sell secondhand for around £100 if that helps, seems there must be some demand for them.

The handset will only be compatible if the EQ5 is the Synscan version (EQ5 Pro), otherwise only the tripod is usable on the HEQ5.

• Like 1

There is no upgrade path.  A new HEQ5 is supplied with a new handset, tripod and leads.  This makes all the existing EQ5 synscan unit, handset and tripod redundant as it's only suitable for the EQ5.  If you were purchasing a second-hand HEQ5 mount only, then your EQ5 tripod and handset can be used, provided the EQ5 is the synscan pro-goto as previously mentioned.  You can not use the HEQ5 with the standard or deluxe EQ5 motor controllers.