NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 Connectivity

Deepblue12

Just ordered an HEQ5 and I’m intending to connect it to an RPi. There are cables available to connect directly from the mount or through the Synscan controller, each uses a different end connection.

Are there any pro’s/cons to using a particular method?

2 minutes ago, Daf1983 said:

I connect my heq5 to my rpi4 with a eqdir cable.https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

They cost about £30 and I control everything with stellarmate os(or astroberry does the same job).

Thanks I am already aware of the cables that are available but the question is what’s the difference between direct connection to the mount or through the sync scan controller?

Options are:

• An FTDI EQDIR cable.  It replaces the handset and provides a direct connection to a computer that has a USB-A type socket. 
  • If the handset supplied is a V5 it will have a USB - B port.  A standard USB - A to B cable can be used between the computer and handset. The handset still needs to be connected and plugged into the mount.  

If using the second option you may need to place the handset into a PC-DIRECT mode to enable pass through commands.  The first option tends to be the "standard" way people control an HEQ5 using a computer.  Both ways achieve the same result, one with less wires and takes out one element (the handset) from the equation.

If the mount is recent it may have a usb port on the mount itself. In which case a standard USB (A-B) cable can be used between the computer and mount and the handset is not needed.

The downside of this is that the usb port does not click in place like the handset cable does.

In my case the handset failed after less than a year so I bought a cable to connect direct from RPi to the mount's RJ45 port - works like a dream. By the way - kudos to Skywatcher for replacing the handset very quickly.

Stu

19 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

If the mount is recent it may have a usb port on the mount itself. In which case a standard USB (A-B) cable can be used between the computer and mount and the handset is not needed.

The downside of this is that the usb port does not click in place like the handset cable does.

I know the new motor boards are ARM based and most new mounts do indeed have a USB -B port on them, but from what I can see this has yet to be included in the HEQ5, possibly down to the fact this mount has a remote pcb with the all the connectivity on it.  To add the USB connectivity directly to an HEQ5 it would require the additional revised secondary PCB, and given the physical constraints in that area, would,  IMO require the removal of the ST4 port in order to add a USB socket.

I agree that a direct USB connection to a mount is not ideal as there is no locking mechanism to prevent the cable dropping out mid slew ! 

46 minutes ago, Deepblue12 said:

i'll know as soon as it turns up :)

My bad I mixed up the HEQ5 Pro with the EQ6 Pro, I even had the wrong mental picture in my head of where the port is. Bad considering I did own a HEQ5 Pro 😕 must be the new green stripe livery confusing me (and old age).

Good catch Malc.🙂

Steve

20 hours ago, Deepblue12 said:

Thanks I am already aware of the cables that are available but the question is what’s the difference between direct connection to the mount or through the sync scan controller?

In a nutshell......If you are using a driver such as EQMOD you dont need the Synscan in between, as it has all the functionality built into it. So folk (like me) who have switched to using the laptop to control the mount via RPi dont use the Synscan at all :)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

My bad I mixed up the HEQ5 Pro with the EQ6 Pro, I even had the wrong mental picture in my head of where the port is. Bad considering I did own a HEQ5 Pro 😕 must be the new green stripe livery confusing me (and old age).

Good catch Malc.🙂

Steve

The Ironic thing is that the new ARM based board has an additional connector J5 which is a full blown USB port, so the connectivity is there, just can't be utilised, at least not without a lot of modification to the mount.

Don't worry about the mix up Steve, we're all getting older :)

• Like 1