SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus after the storm

Kon

I managed to image Venus this morning after the storm we had last night. No hint of wind today but seeing was terrible with Venus looking like a disco ball. 8" Dob, asi120mc-s, 2x barlow, PIPP, AS!2. No further editing. Despite the conditions it does not look too bad and the phase is looking different from the other day.

venus-170222.png.751498762773a58e73f1232bbe97ff42.png

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Very well captured Kon especially with the conditions you had to endure. Are you using a uv-ir cut filter? As Neil said in your last post you really do need one with a colour camera.

Thanks. Following Neils comment on my previous post, I was going to get a filter but apparently the ASI120mc-s already has a built in IR cut filter.

• Like 1

I have just looked up your camera and YES you are correct the Asi120mc-s does have uv-ir cut filter built in. My mistake as I thought it was the standard Asi120mc. Anyway well done on your capture I will be watching the phases of venus with interest.

If you want a cheap filter try a Astro essentials W47 Violet. The only problem is you will need a IR only block. I got a BG39 From Ali Ex. £20. And you have at least a chance of getting some cloud. But you also will need a old filter cell to put it in. 

I was going to setup but was still windy here.

Anyway  well done on getting a nice capture

21 hours ago, neil phillips said:

If you want a cheap filter try a Astro essentials W47 Violet. The only problem is you will need a IR only block. I got a BG39 From Ali Ex. £20. And you have at least a chance of getting some cloud. But you also will need a old filter cell to put it in. 

I was going to setup but was still windy here.

Anyway  well done on getting a nice capture

Thanks Neil. I have seen online that some decide to remove the IR/UV cut that the asi120mc-s has and replace it. Is that what you are suggesting?

Kostas

40 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks Neil. I have seen online that some decide to remove the IR/UV cut that the asi120mc-s has and replace it. Is that what you are suggesting?

Kostas

No Kon not suggesting that. if you remove the AR Protect window. It will get more dirty and you will end in a endless cycle of cleaning. personally i wouldnt do it. though some have. What i am saying is get this 

Astro Essentials 1.25" #47 Violet Filter | First Light Optics And look on Ali express for a BG39 filter. The only problem is you will have to mount it. You will only get the round glass not the filter holder. I had some filters here that i was not using so took it apart, and put in a BG39 The reason you have the BG 39 is with a W47 you will have a bad IR Leak. Not sure the coatings on the cameras AR protect window will stop that. Its also unlikely it will stop all UV so might be worth trying. read this Kon 

TBH it will be hard you may not get anything. so far i havent. its not the best filter. but its £30 some have got clouds with a W47 VIOLET and BG39 for the IR leak 

RkBlog :: Optimizing UV Venus imaging

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete Presland said:

Well done to you for braving the conditions, not as good as your previous image. Despite the conditions the phase is showing nicely.

I agree. I think under the current conditions the use of a barlow is not optimal thus this less sharp image.

• Like 1