Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Choose a triple.

cotterless45

Binaries have a fascination ,but the wow factor must go to triple stars . A few favourite show pieces are ,

"Tegmine"  ( Zeta Cancri ) . I showed this to a few at sgl. Quite amazed that those with little experience immediately got it ! That worked for NGC 2419 as well !

Beta Monocerotis, often described as the finest triple .very bright , but stunning.A winter gem.

Iota Cassiopeae, easy to find and quite on it's own.

Sigma Orionis.  A fish hook. Just take folk away from the great nebula !

My favourite : Σ2816 , easy now.  It's at the base of IC 1396 in Cepheus . Always provides a gorgeous view of "green " and violet companions. There are no green stars , it just appears that way !

Also runners , Σ2944 in Aquarius, h881 in Aquila,14 Arietis,Theta Aurigae,Psi Cassiopeae,35 Coma B., "keid" (ο2 Eridanus), 12 Lynx,65 UMa.

Great fun to show these , ask the viewer " how many stars can you see ?" , " on a clock , where's the companion ?"

That's it , I'd probably go for Tegmine . It has become a bit more challenging , but what a delight .

Anyone else ?

careful now , clearest skies ! Nick.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, cotterless45 said:

Binaries have a fascination ,but the wow factor must go to triple stars . A few favourite show pieces are ,

"Tegmine"  ( Zeta Cancri ) . I showed this to a few at sgl. Quite amazed that those with little experience immediately got it ! That worked for NGC 2419 as well !

Beta Monocerotis, often described as the finest triple .very bright , but stunning.A winter gem.

Iota Cassiopeae, easy to find and quite on it's own.

Sigma Orionis.  A fish hook. Just take folk away from the great nebula !

My favourite : Σ2816 , easy now.  It's at the base of IC 1396 in Cepheus . Always provides a gorgeous view of "green " and violet companions. There are no green stars , it just appears that way !

Also runners , Σ2944 in Aquarius, h881 in Aquila,14 Arietis,Theta Aurigae,Psi Cassiopeae,35 Coma B., "keid" (ο2 Eridanus), 12 Lynx,65 UMa.

Great fun to show these , ask the viewer " how many stars can you see ?" , " on a clock , where's the companion ?"

That's it , I'd probably go for Tegmine . It has become a bit more challenging , but what a delight .

Anyone else ?

careful now , clearest skies ! Nick.

Thanks for that, Nick, I've added a couple of those to my next list.

SkySafari users should look for Σ2816 under its synonym SAO33626, as this is one of the ones where the Struve catalogue in SS is found wanting for some reason. It's quite happy with STF 2944, though.
I believe h881 in Aquila is the one listed as HJ881 in SS?

And searching for 65UMa gives two hits, one for the A/B components (6.53/9.00 at 0.3") and another for Da/Db (7.00/9.20 at 0.1"), both of which are too tight for mere mortals to split. What would be more helpful is the AB/C split (6.68/8.32 at 3.9") and the AB/D split (6.68/6.97 at 62.5").

PS  are triple star posts allowed into the double star forum?

Edited by Zermelo
Typo, I put "2944" twice, which probably made the whole thing nonsensical to read
  • Thanks 1