Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

telescope comparison

Kimboman

Hi very early tonight the Moon was in a prominent position to observe albeit very bright obviously due to its phase.

As previously stated I obtained a Celestron 102 GT on a goto mount and have been very impressed with the views obtained . the moon was really clear and crisp with a decent sized image using a Celestron 25mm eyepiece and a Celestron 15mm eyepiece

Which filled the eyepiece,the ca was there but not distracting.

I recently obtained a Sky-Watcher80ed pro through a SGL member and have been very impressed with the build which is very good.

Tonight I set up both scopes on the Moon just to compare a doublet with an ed doublet and I have to admit that the Celestron 102Gt won hands down the larger aperture won the day.

As I don't do AP I could not comment on the results but I feel that the 80 ed might win but the ca was evident

IMG_3381.JPG

Interesting!  Most shots of the moon through an ED80 reveal no false colour.   The ED doublets only 'work' if they are in focus.  It looks like your pic is slightly out of focus, that's probably where the CA is coming from.

Also...eyepieces can induce their own CA.  Next time, (if you can), try attaching a bodied camera to the scope (no eyepiece).  You should see a difference in the images then. 

Cheers Steve 

• Like 1

An interesting comparison! We're both scopes working at the same magnification? I know the SW ED's are not totally CA free, but may be the CA visible in the ED was due to atmospheric haze? When I bought a SW Equinox ED80 many years ago, it soon became my most used scope, and the one I'd go for when I wanted a quick few minutes observing before bed. The trouble was I'd often find myself sat on a frozen garden bench an hour later, still completely engrossed in the view of the Moon. Jupiter was very nice too with the red spot and jet black shadow transits laser etched. My 120ED would often remain on the side lines due to the ease of using the little ED.  I did use a cheap binoviewer though, which makes a massive difference to the viewing experience. 

• Like 1