Jump to content

Banner.jpg.b6007b69ccdf5c69bf18273ddfe023df.jpg

N.I.N.A and Stellarium issues


Jonny_H
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I need some help with an issue I have with N.I.N.A and Stellarium in that I cannot seem to get the two to talk, or at least I get an error message when trying.

In N.I.N.A I have selected Stellarium as the Planetarium software and made note of the default port #.

In Stellarium I have ensured that the remote control plug-in loads at startup and I have selected the two server boxes within the remote control configuration screen. The port number here matches that of N.I.N.A.

However when I select a target in Stellarium then go to N.I.N.A and try to import the coordinates from Stellarium, i get an error pop-up stating that the coordinated could not be retrieved.

I just wondered what I have missed? :(

be gentle - I am very new to N.I.N.A.....and Stellarium for that matter :)

Thanks,

Jon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi John, you don't need stellarium to do that.. in Nina frame your target how you want, making sure your camera and focal length are correct and then to the left is slew to target.. plate solve and that's it.. as long as your camera angle is the same then it will frame and center within pixels.. no need for stellarium

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jonny_H said:

Thanks @Same old newbie alert

I assumed that you needed a Planetarium installed. I think CDC is selected by default but out of the two I probably have more knowledge in Stellarium.

If you do not need it though then all is well. I will carry on having a play.

Things to check are the focal length

Camera length and height in pixels

Pixel size

And camera angle

Frame the target and press slew to target

Plate solve and start the imaging run

Once you get used to it you can then let it do it all for you in the advanced sequencer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

I have CdC set up and it works fine but I rarely use it and as mentioned above I prefer to just use the Sky Atlas and Framing in NINA itself.

I am same with Stellarium, but sometimes nice to have to have a look about whats coming up into view later in the night whilst a sequence is going on in the background, which means I suppose you don't need the link to NINA as you just get the name of your target from Stellarium, or CDC, and then just type it into NINA and away you go.
I just though that it can be set up I might as well set it up but like you say don't need it and so far I haven't really used it.

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

I am same with Stellarium, but sometimes nice to have to have a look about whats coming up into view later in the night whilst a sequence is going on in the background, which means I suppose you don't need the link to NINA as you just get the name of your target from Stellarium, or CDC, and then just type it into NINA and away you go.
I just though that it can be set up I might as well set it up but like you say don't need it and so far I haven't really used it.

Steve

I think because I've not been doing this long I haven't got into the habit of using stellarium apps, possibly in the way they're meant to be used... I do have Sky Safari Pro on my phone but most often it's just images on here that I pick on to image and then, like you, just put them straight in to NINA. I accept it would make sense to know what's coming up as being sensible to pick on....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

You do not need stellarium but it should work.
I have set it up and I did test it so it does work.

I will check and send some screen shots of how I set it up, although sounds just as you have done so far.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

That would be great if you wouldn't mind. I am sure I must have missed something so would be good to cross check.

Out of interest are you connecting your mount via a EQDIR cable or USB?

 

Thanks to everyone else for your comments so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Jonny_H said:

Thanks Steve,

That would be great if you wouldn't mind. I am sure I must have missed something so would be good to cross check.

Out of interest are you connecting your mount via a EQDIR cable or USB?

 

Thanks to everyone else for your comments so far.

Its to a IOptron CEM60 via usb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Same old newbie alert said:

Any issues?

No not at all best  (and by far the most expensive) hub I have ever owned, although it does far more than just a usb hub.

I am trying to get the images of my Stellarium setup but when I open Stellarium it is really (really) slow and almost unusable.
Like I say not really used it so set it up and checked it worked but never bothered powering up after that so not sure how long this has been like this as it worked fine when I set it up.

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have just taken a screen shot of the issue I am having.  I cant work out if it is a bug as i am using the latest BETA version of NINA - or if it is indeed something daft that I am doing.

When clicking on the button to pull the data from Stellarium - it instantly populates the details of the thing I have selected in Stellarium.  Shortly after the image of the object appears however I get an error stating that the coordinates could not be aquired (see image).

Could this be a Bug or is something not quite right with settings etc...? Given that the details are populated do I just ignore the error message?

I now know I don't need Stellarium....but I've got a bee in my bonnet now and need to fix this issue! :)

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jonny_H
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jonny_H said:

I have just taken a screen shot of the issue I am having.  I cant work out if it is a bug as i am using the latest BETA version of NINA - or if it is indeed something daft that I am doing.

When clicking on the button to pull the data from Stellarium - it instantly populates the details of the thing I have selected in Stellarium.  Shortly after the image of the object appears however I get an error stating that the coordinates could not be aquired (see image).

Could this be a Bug or is something not quite right with settings etc...? Given that the details are populated do I just ignore the error message?

I now know I don't need Stellarium....but I've got a bee in my bonnet now and need to fix this issue! :)

Capture.PNG

Think there's a sync to do between the 2 but why are you trying to use 2 things to do 1 job

You haven't got a focal length  , it's saying NAN

Does stellarium tell you what your camera angle is? As at the moment it's on 0

Edited by Same old newbie alert
Added info
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see Newbie mentioned the NaN but you also have a load of NaNs for RA and DEC too. I wonder if the issue is with the Stellarium setup too and wonder if NINA actually brought in M31 from HIPS

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your comments/input.

The issue was that I hadn't entered all info for the scope, I.e. focal length and ratio. With the contributes entered it now works as expected. I can now sleep at night! :)

Thank you all again. I can only apologies for being a complete berk and not identifying what was a rather simple issue to resolve!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad its working, I was just about to give you those screenshots after taking all morning to get my Stellarium working again (if you wondered what was wrong its on a thread HERE ) but looks like its not need 🙂 

Happy days are here again (well they will be for me when these clouds disappear 🙂 )

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.