Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jack Schmidling Easy Collimator

philsail1

Just noticed an "SGL" member is selling a "Jack Schmidling" "easy tester" collimating eyepiece.

I'd never heard of this type of collimator so went on "tinternet" to find out more.

Here is JS's site. http://schmidling.com/et2.htm

This type of collimator certainly sounds easy to use!

I thought the description and info might be of interest to anyone (like me) who likes to keep checking the collimation of their scopes!

I wonder if anyone knows from where one can be obtained in the UK?

Regards,

philsail1

isn't a collicap just a cap with a little hole in the middle? the Schmidling thing looks a bit more involved (but I have no idea exactly what it is or how it works and presumably it's also subject to its own manufacturing standards which will have the collimator OCD folk all twitchy again.....)

No, it's not just a collicap.

It has a flat mirror on the inside surface with a collimating hole.

The mirror reflects back to the primary and when the optics are aligned and collimated the surface appears dark, then you KNOW you have collimation.

Sorry Doc, it's not the circles which make the EasyTester but the fact that you get the double Null reflection when the optics are aligned and collimated.

If it wasn't for that, the plastic film canister with the 2mm central hole would do.

I think I understand. So what are the benefits over using a collicap and a baader laser collimator

I ask as I'm still not 100% sure I get good collimation with a laser.

It allows you to do the usual concentric alignment of the secondary, primary and the reflection of the secondary, just like the Cheshire or the peep hole BUT as you get closer to good alignment the reflection of the built in mirror surface goes grey/ dark giving you a prefect indicator that the collimation is 100%.

This ensures that the focuser/ alignment / mirrors are 100% collimated. That's really the difference.

Also, The fact that you have a small peep hole reflected down again to the primary gives you a target spot and a target "hole" to align the optics, just like the laser.

As I said in the Ad - the steak knives are extra!!!!

It is a pretty good idea; been around for as long as amateurs have had telescopes... I remember making one back in the 1960's from a small compact mirror ( just scratch a hole, better if its square, in the middle) and glued to the end of an old piece of 1.25" tube.

I've got to say that Jack Schmidling's one definately looks a bit more up market!!

• 1 month later...

The main problem with auto collimators is that you have to have the optical path almost perfectly correct before they work.

I have one that came with my set of Tectron tools and have never managed to get my optical train set well enough for it to null.

The catseye system is also an autocollimator and several people on SGL use it to good effect

--

Martyn

I suppose I'm getting confused. Faced with collimating my F4.5 in a few days, I'm unsure what to use / buy.

At my disposal right now:-

1) A collicap

2) A cheshire

I've looked @ the Catseye Autcollimators (Kerr-ching) and now this, and feel distinctly inadequate.

Q:- Will the tools I have get the job done or are they a compromise ??

Kon-phused.

I know there are quite a few people here that dislike lasers for collimation but with my eyesight the way it is (I can't get all of the optical train in focus all at the same time) I couldn't get on with my sight tube or cheshire.

I found that the laser worked well for me once I had added a centre doughnut to the primary and a faint centre spot to the secondary.

--

Martyn

A Cheshire should do the job 100%.

Ringz... the spot on the secondary shouldn't be in the mechanical centre but the optical centre... see my other thread on 100% collimation.

I know that Merlin66, I did a drawing to scale to work out where the hole should go, made a paper mask with the hole in the correct position, and then marked the mirror.

Actually marking the secondary was a bit of a waste of time with regard to the laser. My scope is a closed tube design so when the laser is fitted you can't see the face of the secondary :)

Oh well, the best laid plans of mice and men and all that.

--

Martyn.

Archived