Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finder for 90/500 refractor

Good morning, I am looking to add a compact finder to my relatively short scope. I am thought of getting a telrad but looks like a bit oversized for my scope. Rigel quickfinder or RDF or RACI?  Comments and recommendations welcome... Ideally would like to spend max £50.

13 minutes ago, Marc1964 said:

Good morning, I am looking to add a compact finder to my relatively short scope. I am thought of getting a telrad but looks like a bit oversized for my scope. Rigel quickfinder or RDF or RACI?  Comments and recommendations welcome... Ideally would like to spend max £50.

Which scope do you have Marc?

Yes for your 90 / 500 refractor keeping the finder relatively small is a good idea.

The Rigel Quikfinder is popular and very compact finder. A good alternative to the Telrad.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/rigel-quikfinder-compact-reflex-sight.html

Or the 6x30 RACI finder if you prefer an optical finder.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/sky-watcher-6x30-right-angled-finderscope.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nik271 said:

With a 32mm Plossl EP you get more than a 3 degree field of view already so you only need a finder that points you in the general direction. I recommend a RDF finder, keeps the rig as light as possible.

Light is good... I usually have to transport stuff to get a reasonably good view thanks to my neighbours penchant for outside lighting and two bright streetlights flanking my garden.. 

Any particular RDF that's reasonably well built? 

I noticed that there is a lot more variety and price competition for red dot sights for guns: they tend to be more robustly made from metal, weatherproof and with larger optical windows. On the negative side their red dots tend to be brighter than necessary for astronomical use.

I just bought a basic gun red dot sight from amazon and will test it under the stars. If it's any good I will post a review of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nik271 said:

I noticed that there is a lot more variety and price competition for red dot sights for guns: they tend to be more robustly made from metal, weatherproof and with larger optical windows. On the negative side their red dots tend to be brighter than necessary for astronomical use.

I just bought a basic gun red dot sight from amazon and will test it under the stars. If it's any good I will post a review of it. 

Sounds like a good plan! The range is quite boggling but it is interesting to see what people opt for. I'm leaning towards the baader option, but the Rigel still appeals... If I strike lucky with my search fot a used 100/102/110 maksutov then I may get both to experiment with 😂