Collimator recommendations.

I have made a start on the journey having received a EQ6-R mount and awaiting an Orion Optics CT10 in a month or so. I've managed to assemble a limited range of eye pieces all having good eye relief as I'm a glasses wearer. Also an Explore Scientific x2 Focal extender. The aim eventually is to move on to photography but at the moment just visual so want to ensure I have all the necessary kit for just visual viewing.

I'm wondering how often the CT10 might need collimating as it will be stored off the mount whilst not in use and on this subject can anyone give some advice on a reasonable collimator (that itself can be collimated). Are there decent ones out there other than the much talked about Hotech?

I would use a Cheshire Sight tube it does not need collimating can be used anywhere. 

Once the secondary is set you should never need to touch that again as long as the tube is not dropped or banged hard the only thing you would need to do is check the primary and that takes a minute at most, you can even check it in the dark by pointing a red torch at the shiney 45° surface very easy. 

I would recommend a Concentre for setting up the seconday properly. Will get your secondary perfectly centered and set up. Tried all the other methods and none was as accurate as the Concentre.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/ts-concenter-2-adjustment-eyepiece-for-newtonian-telescopes.html

The Hotech is about the cheapest good laser collimator around. Used one after the Concentre and got great results.

Many will come along and recommend a Cheshire eyepiece but I’ve found it’s better than nothing but a poor substitute for the Concentre.No where near as accurate.

The Howie Glatter collimating gear is excellent but expensive. 

Edited by johninderby

I use a laser collimator to get it close, then star test the rest of the way. It's that last bit that gets you the fine detail. Once initially done it should only require small adjustments to maintain accuracy.

16 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I would recommend a Concentre for setting up the seconday properly. Will get your secondary perfectly centered and set up. Tried all the other methods and none was as accurate as the Concentre.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other-collimation-tools/ts-concenter-2-adjustment-eyepiece-for-newtonian-telescopes.html

The Hotech is about the cheapest good laser collimator around. Used one after the Concentre and got great results.

Many will come along and recommend a Cheshire eyepiece but I’ve found it’s better than nothing but a poor substitute for the Concentre.No where near as accurate.

The Howie Glatter collimating gear is excellent but expensive. 

I forgot about the concentre I just went with my own experience having never used one.