SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ganymede simulator

Stu

With Calsky gone, are there any simulators around which show the surface detail or albedo effects on Ganymede at whatever time you choose? I’m just trying to verify if an image showing detail is showing real detail or just processing artefacts.

Thanks!

Thanks @vlaiv!

While you are here, could you help with a calculation which is right up your street?

I’m trying to help someone who believes they have captured detail on the surface of Ganymede using a smartphone attached to a scope. I want to show them how many pixels Ganymede would cover, because I think the detail is just achieved by over processing the data rather than being real.

Details:

Orion XT6 scope ie 150mm aperture, 1200mm focal length.

10mm Plossl eyepiece giving x120 (I can do that bit 🤪)

The phone was a Samsung Galaxy 8, sensor details are in the image attached.

To save you checking, Ganymede is 1.2 arc seconds across at the moment.

So, could you calculate how many pixels Ganymede would cover given those details? Is that possible? I assume this will tell us how much detail was possible?

31 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

With 6" scope all there is to be recorded from 1.2" disk fits into 3.5px across.

Overall - about 10px will cover the disk (so really 3x3 matrix). Anything more than that is over sampling.

Many thanks Vlad, appreciated.