Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Extension Tube for SW AZEQ6

Acrab67

Hi,

Does anyone know of any extension tubes compatible with SW EQ6 mounts that are stiff enough and well designed so they don't introduce vibrations to the optical tube?
I've been looking at this model from AstroMechanik, which at first glance seems quite robust, with 10mm thick walls. Does anyone by any chance use one of these?

Thanks

Extension  tube 2.jpg

Extension tube.jpg

Edited by Acrab67
correction

+1 for the Skywatcher model.

I use it on my AZEQ6 with the SW 190MN which is quite a heavy beast and haven't noticed any stability problems.  It does need the central clamps to be done up really tight to avoid disturbing the PA when slewing at speed, but have had several OAG guided sessions with PHD2 reporting average oscillation at 0.5" or just below.

Yes, it appears that Skywatcher made a couple of design changes, including screw adjustment issues and a rubber base for the extender azimuth rotation issue. It is for use with an AZEQ6 GT in ALTAZ mode, and the SW tripod. I have replaced the stock legs for the tripod with others also made of stainless steel that are longer and 1.5 mm thick, that is, practically double

3 hours ago, Acrab67 said:

Is the one you use the new model that comes with the rubber base?

Mine arrived in July last year and had no rubber base. 

I didn't realise you were visual; never used mine for visual, only imaging.

The skywatcher one will be fine for visual.

It’s fine for imaging; I have the older version where the only issue is the tube can rotate so needed some anti slip material between the tube and the top of the tripod.

• Like 1