NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SH2-240 Mosaic question (WIP)

scotty38

Hi all,

I decided to have a go at this and below are the 4 panels I have so far. Obviously more needs to be added but my question is around combining the panels.

I stacked all the lights in PI and then created the mosaic in APP, using just the defaults. Hopefully the jpg shows it but you can clearly see the overlapping areas so is there something obvious I'm not doing to have this not show up?

Image15.thumb.jpg.82978192389274c87b50383c77859551.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

so is there something obvious I'm not doing to have this not show up?

As a first pass, ensure you've ticked MBB under Integration.  The tool tip explains things well but try 10% as a starter. There are a few other things that can help - both settings in APP and approaches but start with MBB. 

Are you choosing Mosaic in Registration?

EDIT: that's looking good already!

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

Thanks and yes I chose Mosaic, that was the only change I made, everything else was at its default. Will have a look at MBB, thanks again!

EDIT:

Running now with MBB, completely missed that option first time round....

Edited by scotty38
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

There's still a slight line I can see but will just need a tiny tweak on the %.

If that doesn't work, the next thing to look at is LNC (just above MBB).  Again the tooltip is concise and gives you good starters. I typically use LNC initially but if it's multiple nights in the same pane and lots of panes then...

If you're still having trouble after this then the next level is looking at each pane - cropping, gradients/background and matching levels to other panes - then combining.

2 minutes ago, geeklee said:

If that doesn't work, the next thing to look at is LNC (just above MBB).  Again the tooltip is concise and gives you good starters. I typically use LNC initially but if it's multiple nights in the same pane and lots of panes then...

If you're still having trouble after this then the next level is looking at each pane - cropping, gradients/background and matching levels to other panes - then combining.

Appreciated,! Just running through at a different percentage and given the difference the first pass made I'm confident this is all I'll need for now. I'm thinking of adding more panels so I can frame it a bit better so no doubt that will mean looking at other options once I start adding to it.....

Very nice, as @geeklee said mbb helps as does (in my experience) APPs Local Normalisation  option,   also as you have Pixinsight it's worth looking at the Photometric Mosaic scripts as that also  does an excellent job and if you've not done so then before integration run Normalise Scale Gradient on subs for each panels... this makes any residual gradient much easier to deal with either by APP or  Pixinsight's PM script.    

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice, as @geeklee said mbb helps as does (in my experience) APPs Local Normalisation  option,   also as you have Pixinsight it's worth looking at the Photometric Mosaic scripts as that also  does an excellent job and if you've not done so then before integration run Normalise Scale Gradient on subs for each panels... this makes any residual gradient much easier to deal with either by APP or  Pixinsight's PM script.    

Thank you, before MBB was mentioned I had thought about trying NSG next. As it happens I did try Photometric Mosaic first but fell at the first few hurdles with that one so took the easy way out 🙂 I intend doing a bit of reading on the PI script and will then have another go at it....

Yes PM is quite daunting at first but the documentation is very good so don't be put off...  and I'd certainly try NSG as that will help APP get a good result (the author of both is a member of my Astro Society so in return for a bit of testing we've had personal tuition :) ) ..

By the way what equipment do you use?

Dave

4 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Yes PM is quite daunting at first but the documentation is very good so don't be put off...  and I'd certainly try NSG as that will help APP get a good result (the author of both is a member of my Astro Society so in return for a bit of testing we've had personal tuition :) ) ..

By the way what equipment do you use?

Dave

Thanks and yes I'll definitely try it, I was just keen to see what I had with this being the first mosaic I've tried.

My kit is:

WO GT81 with 0.8FF

ZWO294MC Pro

AZ-EQ6 GT Pro

L-eXtreme filter, ZWO filter wheel, focusser etc.

I also use a mini-pc and run NINA for capturing etc.

Maybe I'll add a signature 🙂

• Thanks 1