AstroBin Sh2-274 The Medusa (or Santa Claus?) nebula in wide field

gorann

I have not seen many wide field images of Sh2-274 and the surrounding nebulosity, so I thought is could be an interesting target for my dual-RASA rig. No moon up most of the night, so no moon light and gradients to worry about. Still, I decided to go for a NBZ-filtered image (Ha and Oiii) rather than RGB to get more punch in the Ha and Oiii. Sh2-274 is known as the Medusa Nebula, but to me, especially with all the Ha shining in this image, it reminds me of Santa Claus:icon_bigsmurf:. It was imaged exactly one month after Christmas so fortunately for us he has 11 month to return😉

So, imaged on the night 24-25 Jan 2022 with two RASA 8 and ASI2600MC with IDAS NBZ filter. 145 x 5 min (=12.1 hours) at gain 100, offset 30, -15°C. The annotated image is a screen grab from my Astrobin. I also added a close up since the image shows quite a lot of detail for being 400 mm focal length.

Cheers & CS, Göran

20220124-25 Sh2-274 RASA PS22(red curve up on dust) copy.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-27 at 11.21.11.png

20220124-25 Sh2-274 RASA PS22b(closer up) copy.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 15