Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Planetary nebulae in color?

refractor2345

Hmm, I was wondering if I cold see a planetary nebulae in color, using a let's say a 18 inch dobsonian, with filter of course, what about Abell 21, The Medusa Nebulae or The Butterfly Nebulae (NGC 6302)

More tough, without filter, is it possible? What are your thoughts, and are there any examples through the eyepiece?

2 minutes ago, refractor2345 said:

Hmm, I was wondering if I cold see a planetary nebulae in color, using a let's say a 18 inch dobsonian, with filter of course, what about Abell 21, The Medusa Nebulae or The Butterfly Nebulae (NGC 6302)

More tough, without filter, is it possible? What are your thoughts, and are there any examples through the eyepiece?

Also, if you know, please tell me suitable eyepiece for the job!

On 21/01/2022 at 04:45, refractor2345 said:

Also, if you know, please tell me suitable eyepiece for the job!

Of the two you mention, I would not expect colour to be visually deduced within the Medusa. Concerning NGC 6302, just maybe a greenish or blue tinge, that is enhanced by a filter, usually an O-III or UHC.  Many Planetary Nebulae do of course provide a defining visually nice blue or green tinge. High power is often the best approach, such as for resolving slightly, bipolar planetary nebulae. There is an article in this section, 'Planetary Nebulae a little Guide' that might be worth a read through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 21/01/2022 at 05:42, refractor2345 said:

if I cold see a planetary nebulae in color, using a let's say a 18 inch dobsonian,

😞 I have never seen any colour associated with planetary nebs through the largest scopes I have looked through being-  11" refractor and 16" Newt...

The only time I've seen any colour in a PN through a 20 inch at a dark site was the Cat's Eye, which seemed on the blue side.

Obviously, an OIII filter can give them a green tinge but that's to be expected.

Olly

On 20/07/2022 at 13:50, ollypenrice said:

The only time I've seen any colour in a PN through a 20 inch at a dark site was the Cat's Eye, which seemed on the blue side.

Obviously, an OIII filter can give them a green tinge but that's to be expected.

Olly

On 19/07/2022 at 11:48, SthBohemia said:

😞 I have never seen any colour associated with planetary nebs through the largest scopes I have looked through being-  11" refractor and 16" Newt...

I'm a bit surprised, I've seen colour in a number of PN's with an 8 inch newt from light polluted skies. They are my favourite deep sky objects, a challenge to find and to identify, especially the small ones which i find can provide the best colour, because they can be pinpoint, which somehow concentrates their colour. 

There are a few whose colour is inescapable....NGC7662, The Blue Snowball has an obvious blue/green colour with and without filter. NGC7009, Saturn Nebula appears as a small blue disc at x153 and becomes oblong at x222, resembling it's namesake, add an OIII and it stands out against a black background but with no filter it is a small blue non stellar disc.

IC2149 (no filter) - Small with a blue tint at x111 but for me, higher power didn't assist

IC3568 (with and without filter) - Small bluish disc at x250 mag

NGC1501 - From my log entry - Lovely little blue planetary that flickered and blurred with poor seeing. Appeared to display a slight haze around the nebula which had a definite blue colour. Very small at 4.5mm (x222 mag). Tried OIII and UHC but neither worked. 

NGC7008 - Again, from my log entry - Easily found with 14mm (x71 mag). Switched to 6.5mm (x153 mag) and could see it as a very small disc, possibly blue/green in colour. Image was shifting with the seeing. 
Tried OIII - Nothing
Tried UHC - Could see nebula against a dark background but better without a filter

NGC6543, Cat's Eye (no filter) - As @ollypenrice said - Reasonably bright nebula with a bright disc which has a blue/green haze to it. I only added a UHC to provide contrast.

Admittedly, many PN's only have a hint of colour but I have found many with colour to offer. As for eyepiece choice....I treat them in the same way as i would planets....don't need wide FOV, just power, start low and ramp it up when you ID the target.

12 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I'm a bit surprised, I've seen colour in a number of PN's with an 8 inch newt from light polluted skies. They are my favourite deep sky objects, a challenge to find and to identify, especially the small ones which i find can provide the best colour, because they can be pinpoint, which somehow concentrates their colour. 

There are a few whose colour is inescapable....NGC7662, The Blue Snowball has an obvious blue/green colour with and without filter. NGC7009, Saturn Nebula appears as a small blue disc at x153 and becomes oblong at x222, resembling it's namesake, add an OIII and it stands out against a black background but with no filter it is a small blue non stellar disc.

IC2149 (no filter) - Small with a blue tint at x111 but for me, higher power didn't assist

IC3568 (with and without filter) - Small bluish disc at x250 mag

NGC1501 - From my log entry - Lovely little blue planetary that flickered and blurred with poor seeing. Appeared to display a slight haze around the nebula which had a definite blue colour. Very small at 4.5mm (x222 mag). Tried OIII and UHC but neither worked. 

NGC7008 - Again, from my log entry - Easily found with 14mm (x71 mag). Switched to 6.5mm (x153 mag) and could see it as a very small disc, possibly blue/green in colour. Image was shifting with the seeing. 
Tried OIII - Nothing
Tried UHC - Could see nebula against a dark background but better without a filter

NGC6543, Cat's Eye (no filter) - As @ollypenrice said - Reasonably bright nebula with a bright disc which has a blue/green haze to it. I only added a UHC to provide contrast.

Admittedly, many PN's only have a hint of colour but I have found many with colour to offer. As for eyepiece choice....I treat them in the same way as i would planets....don't need wide FOV, just power, start low and ramp it up when you ID the target.

I'd forgotten the blue snowball and agree. As for the others, I'm afraid I never saw colour as you've done, but I don't have good eyesight. From reading the forums over the years I get the feeling that visual sensitivity to colour varies greatly between individuals.  Some see colour in M42, for instance, but, although I've had views which seem to be fairly deep, it has remained steadfastly greyscale for me. It's a shame because colour means a lot to me in astrophotography but also in my enjoyment of the art world. My parents and my wife were/are artists.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
typo
  • Like 1