Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heavy Duty AZ Mount

JDF

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a replacement for my AZ5 and have looked at a number of alternatives including this from RVO, has anyone had any experience with this one linked below, thoughts also welcome.

www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/rvo-heavy-duty-az-mount-head-with-vixen-clamp.html

1 hour ago, JDF said:

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a replacement for my AZ5 and have looked at a number of alternatives including this from RVO, has anyone had any experience with this one linked below, thoughts also welcome.

One of our members tried one out and found it disappointing. I think it was @johninderby ?

I've read other negative reports on that design as well.

The good old Skytee II is a much better bet I think.

• Thanks 1

The AZ5 is a good little mount up to 5kg and works well. It is rather strange though that a few claim it will carry much more when my testing showed it was not up to heavier loads.

Does make me wonder if there could be that much variability in quality control or tolerances that would explain it. 🤔

Get the Skytee though and it will definately do the job.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The AZ5 is a good little mount up to 5kg and works well. It is rather strange though that a few claim it will carry much more when my testing showed it was not up to heavier loads.

Does make me wonder if there could be that much variability in quality control or tolerances that would explain it. 🤔

It’s this one which is being enquired about John. I think you tried one?

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/rvo-heavy-duty-az-mount-head-with-vixen-clamp.html

0AEA56A4-0092-4279-B47C-1048B0C023D0.png

• Like 1

Depending what you are going to mount upon it, I use either of these two bad boys...

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

...my AYO-AOK and Tele-Optic Giro.

On the AYO, I can remove the saddle/plate [shown on left] and attach a counterweight and bar. The the right one is a permanent fixture.
On the Giro, I can remove either arm and saddle/plate and attach a counterweight and bar.

post-4682-0-18335100-1394160258_thumb.jpgpost-4682-0-08081900-1394160327_thumb.jpg

My Giro loaded, 'scopes cooling... and waiting for nightfall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The AZ5 I have is starting to develop dead spots in the slo mo controls which is a bit annoying as the is only a skymax 127 fitted, all roads do seem to lead to the skytee.

Thanks

4 hours ago, JDF said:

...   I'm looking for a replacement for my AZ5 and have looked at a number of alternatives ...

A year and half ago had to find a beefier mount when I upgraded from a small scope to a Skywatcher 150PL. After replacing the stock 30 mm finderscope with a 50 mm RACI finder, and the 1.25" stock focuser with a 2" focuser + a focus motor, the total weight landed at 8.5 kg (18.7 lbs.)... and it's a long tube, 1150 mm (45"), with a substantial inertia. 

Finding a suitable mount wasn't easy, since there was a void between the smaller alt-az mounts (TS AZT6, Skywatcher AZ5, Vixen Porta, ...) and heavy duty - and heavy - mounts (Skywatcher Skytee, Giro Ercole, Losmandy AZ8, Rowan AZ 100, ...). There weren't many midsized mounts to choose from, but finally I decided to get a Technosky Cubo mount. 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p13139_Tecnosky-Cubo-kleine-azimutale-Montierung.html

The mount didn't come with a dovetail saddle, so I had to add an ADM saddle separately. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-vixen-style-saddle.html

The Cubo handles the 150PL with ease, even though the 8.5 kg scope and long tube is close to the maximum load stated by the manufacturer. The movements are very smooth, and there is very little stiction when moving the scope. I use two counterweights, 3.8 kg (8.3 lbs.) each. The bearings are metallic: 3 ball bearings and 2 radial roller bearings.

L_P1230834_1.JPG

Edited by Per_S
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Per_S said:

A year and half ago had to find a beefier mount when I upgraded from a small scope to a Skywatcher 150PL. After replacing the stock 30 mm finderscope with a 50 mm RACI finder, and the 1.25" stock focuser with a 2" focuser + a focus motor, the total weight landed at 8.5 kg (18.7 lbs.)... and it's a long tube, 1150 mm (45"), with a substantial inertia. 

Finding a suitable mount wasn't easy, since there was a void between the smaller alt-az mounts (TS AZT6, Skywatcher AZ5, Vixen Porta, ...) and heavy duty - and heavy - mounts (Skywatcher Skytee, Giro Ercole, Losmandy AZ8, Rowan AZ 100, ...). There weren't many midsized mounts to choose from, but finally I decided to get a Technosky Cubo mount. 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p13139_Tecnosky-Cubo-kleine-azimutale-Montierung.html

The mount didn't come with a dovetail saddle, so I had to add an ADM saddle separately. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-vixen-style-saddle.html

The Cubo handles the 150PL with ease, even though the 8.5 kg scope and long tube is close to the maximum load stated by the manufacturer. The movements are very smooth, and there is very little stiction when moving the scope. I use two counterweights, 3.8 kg (8.3 lbs.) each. The bearings are metallic: 3 ball bearings and 2 radial roller bearings.

L_P1230834_1.JPG

That is a tidy looking mount, I have ordered a skytee II from FLO today so hopefully have it soon.

Thanks for input folks, much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1