Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crater Encke

Mike JW

Crater Encke. Its three nearby craterlets are the Lunar 200 targets - L173. Very difficult to get a steady view of them but in moments of good seeing they were clearly visible. Crater Encke has a definite hexagonal appearance. The floor looked interesting with a possible ridge and indications of not being smooth and flat.  I have seen the floor described as tormented! The well defined, short shadows suggest low walls and I assume steep as well. The three craterlets (Encke M) are off to the left in my sketch.

I thought I would try a pen and ink approach - can't say I am happy with it. I would welcome feedback from artists who know how to use this technique.

Mike

248284044_CraterEncke.jpg.4ad58d4285aebc6f377c9debbfe68fac.jpg

• Like 6

I quite like the technique you've used Mike. I suppose hetching is harder to use to represent fine detail than the stippling technique used by the likes of Harold Hill and Nigel Longshaw. The problem with stippling is that it can be a laborious task, but beautiful when completed. I've tried it but find general shading techniques easier. Hetching could be something I might try as it seems a more relaxed drawing style.