Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DMK and vista

Does anyone else have problems running the imagingsourse capture software with Vista. On the site it says it is ok with Vista but not with my laptop it isn't. Usually crashes as soon as I confirm the device although occasionally it will give a live image for a few seconds before crashing.

It works fine with the old XP laptop but I only have about 5GB space on that compared with 200gb on the new one.

I've downloaded the latest drivers but that has made no difference.

Does anyone have a solution?

I know that this is going to sound odd, but try a different USB port.

I run the IC software and it works perfectly on one USB port, plug it into the one next to it and it crashes within a few seconds...

Ant

Martin,

I had exactly the same problems, the only solution on vista was to run the camera at a slower frame rate (the maximum is 15 with my larger sensor dmk, I had to drop it down to a lower settings). Give it a go see if it works.

Steve..

Just read this, I'd be more than a little p"d off if I had a fast camera and could only use it by dropping the frame rate ,courtesy of an "upto date" OS. Arn't you a bit miffed Steve ??

I'm not chuffed at having Dropped frames due to my processor.

Karlo

It's got to be worth a try... I have a DMK21.

I could never get the frame rate to 60, so put up with intermittent sucess at 30 or 15, but even at a frame rate of 2.75 (I think) it was freezing on me.

I went onto the Imaging Source Forum and spoke at length with Stefan, both on the boards and via Email. He managed to fix a few other issues I had and made me check the USB port.

Suddenly it worked - I was over the moon :blob8:. But the very next time i was out it froze again. I was starting to get really miffed by this point.

Then I realised that I'd plugged it into the other port. According to device manager they are exactly the same (USB2), but in one the DMK works and in the other it doesn't.

Ant

Thanks Ant and Steve. I'll try the different USB, not confident but worth a go. I'll also try dropping the frame rate, that's Vista's version of progress for you.:lol:

Its not solution Martin but how buying a cheap external HD for you XP laptop. You can pick up 100 gigs for next nothing these days.

Exactly what I was thinking Gaz. I am getting very good frame rates with my old laptop - 60fps most of the time so the processor seems to be up to it. Would saving directly to the external drive slow things down?

The IC software will not save the files to any location other than on the C: drive (or rather I can't get it to do it - if you work it out pleae let me know).

I have partitioned my HDD (into C: and D:) D: being for all my astro stuff - but I have to capture the AVI's from the DMK onto the C: drive then move them across...

Ant

No mate, before I upgraded my laptops HD I used an 7200 rpm external drive and it coped with 60FPS fine, as fast as the camera can get it out the disk can take it in which is all you can ask (or need) really. The USB connection from the laptop to the camera and the laptop to the disk is the limiting factor . I used to make sure the drive was on a different set of USB ports than the camera as I beleive that the two ports together can share a controller and bandwidth (not 100% on this though).

I've now got an internal 7200 rpm drive in my laptop which seems the best of both worlds.

The IC software will not save the files to any location other than on the C: drive (or rather I can't get it to do it - if you work it out pleae let me know).

Never had this problem mate. You can change the "save" file the same way as with most other programs.

Just read this, I'd be more than a little p"d off if I had a fast camera and could only use it by dropping the frame rate ,courtesy of an "upto date" OS. Arn't you a bit miffed Steve ??

I'm not chuffed at having Dropped frames due to my processor.

Karlo

That's only when used with Vista Karlo, at home I can run at full speed using XP on a desktop for capture, I only use Vista when on travels.

Steve..

Archived