NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A clear sky , a new scope

Stu1smartcookie

For the first time in about 6 weeks we have a clear sky . Not only does it coincide with a moonless night but also the first light of my newly acquired skywatcher 200p with aftermarket dual speed focuser . So I eagerly set up my SkyTee 2 mount and set up my 2 scopes , a 102 altair starwave achromatic frac f11 and my 200p . (Photo attached ) . The frac was really there just to add a bit of counterweight to the newt as I hardly used it tonight . I went out without any plan but quickly set about panning the cygnus region which was getting lower in the west / northwest, cue masses of stars   . The collimation of the scope was tweaked without any collimation tools so I was really surprised and delighted that stars were pinpoint and round . I used a baarder 36mm EP , tonight was going to be a night for scanning . I set the frac up with a 17mm baarder , but it hardly got used . , don't worry , it's day will come . So , my next  target was the plaides .. a favourite for all of us and it didn't disappoint,  Then onto the Hades and an open star cluster that i stumbled on without knowing what it was called! This really was turning into a great evening and with another clear night forecast for tomorrow Orion will certainly be on the viewing menu . With clear skies a precious commodity I was a bit annoyed with myself for not making the most of this evening by not having pre determined targets but tonight was really about getting used to the scope . It works well on the mount and although purists will frown that i am using a fairly heavy scope hanging off the standard saddles , it seemed very stable . The real plus is that being an alt az the focuser remains at  a constant angle , something that wouldn't be the case using an EQ mount . So , to sum up my brief first light of my 200p... a great start and I now have two scopes that compliment each other . All we need now are more clear skies . 

received_450983129868109.jpeg

• Like 13

6 hours ago, Sunshine said:

and I must add, that is one long frac you have there! 

I just had to have it when I knew it was up for sale , the previous owner took some amazing lunar and planetary photos with it , I hope it will still get the use it deserves as the 200p is a bit of an all rounder . 

6 hours ago, RobertI said:

Very nice report, that’s a great scope and obviously works well on the SkyTee. Nice and clear here too - shame I’m in bed with Covid!! Look forward to hearing more reports. 

Sorry to read that you are unwell Robert . I had a heavy cold (non covid)over Xmas which knocked me for six  so I can guess you must be feeling quite low. Hopefully you will be back outside , freezing with the rest of us in no time . 

2 hours ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

Sorry to read that you are unwell Robert . I had a heavy cold (non covid)over Xmas which knocked me for six  so I can guess you must be feeling quite low. Hopefully you will be back outside , freezing with the rest of us in no time . 

Thanks mate, shame your Christmas was spoiled too. Glad your getting some ‘sky time’ now. 🙂

• Like 1