SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45 WIP

Ags

This is 90 minutes on M45 at f4.3: 910 x six second subs with an ASI 485 MC at gain 100. AZ-GTi in Alt-Az point-and-track mode. Bortle 8 skies, no Moon issues. Stacked and processed in APP and Gimp. It is the first time I have managed to reveal the nebulosity in an image, and I feel this is a good starting point: to make the image better I just need to improve framing slightly, and shoot a lot more data! Both of which are easy! Another thing that will improve the image: buy an UV/IR blocker! But it looks like the process of super short subs and basic mount is viable :)

My hard drive is filling up nicely though....

Not sure where the halos come from - the only things in the optical train are a f6.3 reducer and  the AR window.

M45.thumb.jpg.fe6f315108b33070be80c54da71cf73d.jpg

Edited by Ags
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to gather another 40 minutes tonight - a clear patch blew over just after midnight, but then it was a race between me and my rapidly advancing roofline. 

• Like 1

Here is the latest state, 2h 10 min of 6 second subs (f4.3), gain 100. Stars are all superbloaty because I still have no IR cut. Hoping to get another three hours, although this will mean incredibile load on APP when it comes to processing. I think the image has gone backwards (but less noisy), but probably related to errors in background extraction.

pleiades.thumb.jpg.d837b335b7b41df92118e0b300bc9516.jpg

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ags said:

Here is the latest state, 2h 10 min of 6 second subs (f4.3), gain 100. Stars are all superbloaty because I still have no IR cut. Hoping to get another three hours, although this will mean incredibile load on APP when it comes to processing. I think the image has gone backwards (but less noisy), but probably related to errors in background extraction.

pleiades.thumb.jpg.d837b335b7b41df92118e0b300bc9516.jpg

It's a beautiful image Ags 👌

• Like 1

Great Image, just wondering about the reflections close to the stars, I noticed them on your Horses Head recently too, maybe try a shot without the reducer? I am interested in this camera so would be good to know.  It may also be the lack of IR Cut as some AR coatings dont work well in the IR. 

Or was the subsequent horses head with one?

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

Yes the reflection is annoying. I will try without the reducer, but only if there is a run of clear nights. At the moment clear skies are such a precious resource I don't want to spend time on exploratory activities! 😀

I am very happy with the ASI485MC - I doubt the reflection is from the camera. It's sensitive and I love the big(ish) sensor.

The Horsehead was shot with the reducer too. My prime suspect for the reflection is the reducer, especially as the reducer was designed for f10 scopes with a tight baffle, and I am using it in a widefield f6 refractor.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

Looks good 👍

43 minutes ago, Ags said:

y prime suspect for the reflection is the reducer, especially as the reducer was designed for f10 scopes with a tight baffle, and I am using it in a widefield f6 refractor.

That's probably not a good idea - correct tools for the right job and all that :wink2:

Aside from the reflection on brighter stars I can't really complain. I like the speed and can't really judge the star shapes yet because of bloat from unblocked IR. Maybe the reflection will go away when I get my new IR blocker, or I can figure out a way to baffle the reducer (assuming that is the problem). Or it might go away if i adjust the spacing of the reducer... 

I have also thought of rotating the camera so that the reflection disappears in stacking...

But I am not too bothered with a little reflection, even expensive scopes can struggle with the issue after all.

• Like 1