Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Neil´s Goian observatory roof version 4

ncjunk

I have had the shed since september and tried a number of temporary roofs so figured it was now time to have an attempt at doing this correctly. The last roof out of wood and pond liner worked ok but turned into a kite in high winds (and it was a bit heavy to lift off, well it is a 3 meter by 3 meter shed).

So I have bit the bullet and plan to put a roll off roof on. I am going to construct a frame inside and outside the shed that the roof will roll on. The frame inside the shed will be screwed down to the shed walls to give it some more strength. The wheels are some small things I found in the local hardware store and carry a maximum of 25kgs each...so I figure 10 on each side should do the trick.

I have attached some photos of the shed and also the planned design for the frame (half of it is inside the shed the other half outside)

Let me know if you have any suggestions as I am making this up as I go along! I have got the wood coming on the 12th so hope for a bit of dry weather.

Neil C

Shed design.pdf

post-14473-133877358662_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shed look superb Neil, and the rail system you have planned is more than beefy enough to carry the weight of the roof.

I hope your wheels have internal bearings, and are fixed not Castor's. I would recommend 75mm diameter wheels, those sound small, although you didn't mention their size. That roof is going to be heavy. Are you going to put angle iron runners on the wood rails. It is a protection against the wheels running off the rails.

Also, with six on a side, they need lining up true, or they may cause some braking as the roof slides, you may need only four a side if 75mm diameter

I am sure you are aware of these points, but I mention them

anyway.

Keep us informed of your progress, it should look great when up and running.

Good luck.

Ron.:blob8:

PS. My run off roof shed is only 7' x 5' and I have 2 x 75mm wheels on each side. It rolls effortlessly on and off using only a couple of fingers. Yours is much larger, so you may need four fingers.:lol:

Ron,

Thanks for the wheel advice...nope I didn´t know any of that and yes you are correct then...the wheels I have are small. I will try to find some 75mm ones mine are 30mm so you may have saved me a bit of heartache there!

Neil C

Neil, I got my wheels cheap on ebay, they were excellent quality too. I had a look yesterday to see if there were any more but I could not see any. I know Screwfix the online hardware people sell them, and I think they are packs of 4, but you will need to check.

I know B&Q do them too, but I think they are a bit expensive.

Ron..

• 3 weeks later...

Things have been going a bit slow...I have had all the wood out and cut the eight supports to size and laid them all out in the shed.

I just need to get some concrete before starting to put it all together as I need to get the 2 outside supports concreted in before I can really finish it off.

Still I would prefer to go slowly and get it right.

I have added a picture of the wood I have and some of the supports put in place to see how it looks.

On to the search for where to buy concrete next!

Neil C

post-14473-133877361986_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ahh yes found a concrete mix for 1.99 a 25kg bag so for about 10 euros I have enough to do 2 posts! Bargain....

Dug a couple of holes 60cm deep and have mixed the concrete and leveled up the posts- They are not perfectly in line with each other or the shed but close enough to do the job.

You can see from the photo that the bit of wood laying next to the back post is going to go on top of the post and through into the shed and the roof will run on this.

I also grabbed 10 75mm wheels (they cost quite a bit, 8 Euros each see attached photo) and these will be used for the roof.

So Once the concrete is set I should be able to get the frame finished and then just have to sort the roof out.

Can´t wait!

Neil C

post-14473-133877366984_thumb.jpg

post-14473-133877366992_thumb.jpg

I was going to use the brackets but you´ve just given me something to think about....I still think with the brackets but I will see when I start building the frame - could be useful to save some space and build them in.

The frame I am going to make up as I go along but base it on another thread that was running on SGL.

I don´t like trying to finish things in 1 day as Mr C$%& up usually comes to visit if I do but my first child is due in the next 4 weeks so I need to get this sorted before then!

Looking good Neil, thats a very posh looking observatory.

Spring time must be observatory roof mod time:) just finished mine.

The rails are looking good too, I used the wheels only in slots on the roof frame, this kept the profile low and meant I could ride the roof on teh top of the walls instead of stepping them down onto rails on the walls to cater for the extra height of the castors.

You will enjoy the roll off roof when its done, they are so civilised

Phil

Phil,

It is the only shed I could find and afford out here. They don´t do sheds in spain I think a lot of the old houses have stone built out houses so don´t need sheds. Couldn´t find a B&Q style cheap one anywhere.

I have built the rails to strengthen the shed as well as support the roof.

Tomorrow will be cutting the posts to size and cutting the holes in the shed for the rails/supports to go in.

I should do a bit more tonight but I am a bit lazy....

Neil C

It was Phils "Solution" that I was hinting at as Phil says it does away with having to bridsge the gap... at the end of the day I suppose it depends what tools you have available.. I wouldnt fancy cutting the slots by hand...

Peter...

Best wishes to you and yours for or the coming event :)

The frame is up, I have screwed it all together :) but haven´t a clue if any of the screws or brackets are for indoors or outdoors.

I did intend the cross beam to go on top of the two which are attached to the shed but I cut the posts back too much so had to put it underneath.

So now we enter...end game..<cue exciting music>..how to reconstruct the roof and make it water proof.

Here are the photos just to keep things up to date.

aahhhh soon I will be able to just remove the roof, focus and then image...soon...and then THEN I WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD hahahahhahahahah hahahahhah <cough>

Neil C

post-14473-133877368075_thumb.jpg

post-14473-133877368082_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Almost there with the roof, should have it finished tomorrow when I will find out if I have enough felt to do the middle section.

I will then just have to paint it and add a few extra sections just to make it water tight.

The only thing I am missing now is the EQ6 extension which I ordered a month ago and is not here yet (damn it!)

Soon be back imaging!

Neil C

post-14473-13387737366_thumb.jpg

post-14473-133877373666_thumb.jpg

post-14473-133877373672_thumb.jpg

Finished the roof at last I just have to paint a few bits and tidy up.

Can´t wait to use it now but that will still be a couple of weeks as the newborn screaming pooh machine is a bit distracting.

The roof can be moved with the aid of only one finger! Although it is advisable to use someone else's finger as it is likely to be badly broken afterwards.

Expect to see news headlines along the lines of "British citizen crushed to death by removable roof in spain":iamwithstupid:

for now I will be content with going in to the garden and moving the roof backwards and forwards.

roof goes open.....roof goes closed...hhhhmmmm slidey! :cool:

Neil C

post-14473-133877373817_thumb.jpg

post-14473-133877373824_thumb.jpg

Nah don´t be silly! you have to have a bit of danger...I will put some red signs around and make everyone wear a hat :-D

yep you noticed that...no end stops either and I haven´t tied it down yet.

I will only put a side rail part way down to stop it coming off and add the end stops tomorrow. I won´t be removing it in high winds and there is almost no sideways movement. Although you can stear it slightly by pulling on one wide...

I had to stop before completing it as the nipper was screaming and I had pushed my luck with the missus. It is safe for now but this would be dangerous if it was the winter here as the winds get quite high.

NC

I take it you meant the wheels coming off the support?

I think I am missing something...

1 rail or something to stop sideways movement

2 end stop to stop it falling off the end

so (am I really am being stupid here) your saying I also need to stop it lifting? I was just thinking I needed to stop it lifting when I had it in the closed position..do I need to stop it lifting whilst opening and closing as well?

Let me know what you think Billy and I will make the corrections.

NC

Archived