NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Neil´s Goian observatory roof version 4

ncjunk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, good point...I was thinking that it was so damn heavy it probably would be ok.

I need some heavy duty latches for closed position as the wind is very very strong during the winter...it will be interesting to see if it survives.

Cheers peter!

Neil C

Neil, I fasten the roof down with 4 swing latches once its in place. The latches are fixed to teh roof, (just bits of ali bar with slots in).

I swing them down onto 8mm bolts sticking out of the walls. These have wing nuts on to tighten and lock the roof in place. I also have 4 bolts in the rails in the fully open position as well so all I have to do if its a bit windy is swing teh catches down to stop it blowing away.

Roofs are heavy but some of the winds we have had here over the past week have shown its always wise to protect against it.

Phil

I like the interesting times saying...read it in a Pratchett book, always learn a bit with his books!

Cheers for the info Phil...I will see what I can come up with in the hardware store tomorrow.

NC

No, you only need to stop it lifting when it's closed.

If your feeling lucky.....

or only go out on the nights with perfect weather...

If your going to leave the scoeps running unattended then the for the sake of a few euros and a min throwing the latches i'd rather make sure its fixed down when its open as well...

your call though :cool:

It will be latched open. I only use it on calm nights normally but it will only take a couple of minutes to attach some anchor points outside as well as inside.

happy days! Feeling too lazy today to do anything though...hoping it rains so that i can see if anything leaks, rain damn it! :-D

Neil

Archived