Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion M42, a running man and moonlight...

Sterrenland

Why do the very rare clear-ish nights always coincide with almost full moons??!

Seeing the stars seems so rare at the moment I'm conditioned now to getting the scope out...even if the moon is wafting its way across the sky. So here's the Orion Nebula taken last night under a moon just past full. Think there's about 1.25 hours of 120sec shots.

I'm not a great fan of M42's that have been over-HDR'ed just to show the Trapezium, so my processing is quite conservative. I prefer showing the amazing brightness at the heart of the nebula.

Here's to the next clear sky...probably about March 2022!

orion5.thumb.jpg.16fe379329a5a49fe9527fc531d19f41.jpg

• Like 17

Nice image, I have barely had 2.5 hours of clear skies so far this month.

I agree with you on the HDR comment. I quite like to see the heart almost over-exposed as it is indicative of the amount of activity going on there. To essentially dim it out goes against what I'm trying to capture.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grifflin said:

@Sterrenland  Great image.  I'm guessing you used a filter with the moon out?  Which one did you go for?  Just asking as I'm hoping to capture M42 as soon as we get a hole in the clouds.

Neil

Yes, for general deep sky shots (non-emission) I leave the L-Pro on which does seem to increase contrast, etc. I used this one here. For emission nebulae I have an L-Enhance which bring out the detail. Would recommend both.

• Thanks 1