Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations for Guide Scopes

Hi all, hope you are all keeping warm, safe and well 🤗

Im taking the leap from using a DSLR to CCD camera for imaging,  so I'm looking for some advice from on which guide scope to use.

After doing a bit of research, I have my eyes on the Starwave 50mm guide scope, but open to suggestion. ( no point asking what the budget is 😂 )

Many thanks  

What is the focal length of your main scope? 

What type is your main scope? If it's a Newt or SCT you might be better off with an off-axis guider.

A 50mm guide scope generally works fine with small/ medium refractors. Look for mechanical rigidity; how is it coupled to the main scope?

A non-rotating focuser can be helpful but in many situations you only focus these things once in a blue moon if it's a permanent fixture. 

Many 50mm finders can be modded with an adapter to work as guidescopes.

Personally I've always liked the Altair ones. 

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/altair-starwave-50mm-finder.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAh_GNBhAHEiwAjOh3ZGuN1dVzVuu1TrS__QR0tQC9pLy__aJVVywJQapFvKIcLfxXdIoEghoCsggQAvD_BwE

if you can cope with bigger a secondhand ST80 makes an excellent guidescope.

Scope -  Altair 72EDF Deluxe 

Mount - Sky-Watcher EQ6-R PRO

My main scope is a Meade LX90 8" ACF ( I use that for planetary viewing )

The Altair 72EDF  will be my main scope for deep sky 

Just putting it together with the help of the field of view calculator, but wanted advice from someone who has actually done it.

Thanks for the info 👍

For the 72EDF, a 50mm guide scope will be ideal. Best to fix it securely to the scope rings with its own dovetail rail, but tbh firmly screwed into the finder shoe may well do until you have some experience.

I use the Altair Starwave 50mm with a ZWO ASI290MM Mini on a 80mm main scope and it works a treat. It comes with a non-rotating helical focuser but as @rl says above, you only focus it once. Focus isn't as critical on the guide scope as it is on the imaging scope. The TS Optics 50mm Deluxe seems to be exactly the same scope. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11100

If you're using the Meade for imaging, there is a strong argument for using an OAG but imo they are an absolute pain to get set up. You can also use the Starwave firmly attached, but you are likely to suffer if there is mirror flop.

• Like 1

I use the Starwave 50 mm guide scope (which has a focal length of 207 mm) and it has worked well for me on telescopes ranging in focal length from 380 mm (WO 81 GT IV with 0.8x reducer) up to 1200 mm (f/4 12" Newtonian). I use the ZWO 120 mini mono camera as the guide camera. I have guided using PHD2 as a stand-alone program, or more recently using PHD2 through the ASI Air Pro. 

I don't like the helical focuser, and since I don't have a permanent set-up, usually end up having to focus it each time I use it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm also looking to go down a very similar route.

I want to guide with an ST80 on top of my SW ED80 on my EQ6-R but I'm missing a (screw-thingy-ma-bob) and don't have the first clue where to find one.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

TIA

20220113_163606.jpg

A bit thin on specifics  :-<

What diameter is the whole thing ?

What diameter is the female screw hole ?

Does it become a male thread on the other side ?

So is it a threaded lock ring, or is it a 1/4"-20  adapter that screws onto the top of scope rings, to allow a camera to be attached ?

https://photogeeks.co.uk/tripod-screw-adapter-male-to-female-1-4-20/

Michael