NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on examining a used setup with the intention of purchase needed please

Hi All,

I've been fortunate (I hope!) in buying a used EQ3 Pro with a Startravel 102 refractor which I'm going to collect this weekend. Being a newbie to most of this, can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of what things I should be paying attention to and examining before I hand over my hard earned money please?

Thanks

Darren

If you don't know the seller it would be wise to exercise some caution.  There is not a whole lot that can go wrong with the Startravel. It's a low-powered scope, so if you can persuade the owner to let you mount it and focus on the end of his garden you will see that it basically works.

You should get the owner to power up the mount and show you that something sensible appears on the display, and that when the relevant buttons are pressed the motors make a noise and move the mount.  If you get that far, it's 99% certain to be in good order.

Hi Darren,

I had many happy hours under the stars using a StarTravel 102. It's really a rich field refractor designed for low power sweeping of star fields, and studying clusters, brighter nebulae and comets. However, with a 2X or 3X barlow lens, the StarTravel can give a pleasing view of the Moon and planets. Does the scope come with any eyepieces or other accessories?  You'll need at least two eyepieces, possibly a 25mm and 10mm Plossl, a mirror diagonal, and hopefully a barlow lens. Usually a StarTravel is better suited to an altazimuth mount, but an EQ3 will be ok, just a little more complex.

If you buy a Pocket Sky Atlas, you''ll have some fun times ahead as you learn your way around the night sky. ☺

Used to have an ST102 many years ago and it was quite good as long as the magnification wasn’t pushed too much. 

Here’s an old pic taken using the 102. Could have done much better with a modern smartphone though.

1DDFF3C3-B233-455A-AADC-0441C15873C6.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

Take diagonals and eyepieces out looking at the main objective angle the tube to move the room light reflection around looking for scratches, fungus marks in the coatings. tap the lens cell firmly there should be no rattle in the lenses. Hold the focuser end up to white wall while looking through the objective check the inside of the tube for any moved or loose baffles. The focuser should be smooth all the way through its range. Some crayford focusers can get rough or slip. With it wound half way out see if you can pull or lush it using your fore finger and thumb. It might need adjusting for tension. See if the focuser draw tube rocks. A focuser can have all these things fixed with adjustment. check the tube for scratches and dents. 

Refractors hold up well generally and as long as the lenses are good everything else can be put right. 

As for the mount  theres a lot of possible problems but ask for a demo and take it at face value. Check for mising screws and covers. Difficult when you might not know what should be there. loosen the clutches with no scope or weights and check for smooth rotation in both axis by hand. 

Assuming its skywatcher you might find some of these issues with new kit so be a little generous. If its been looked after or even tuned up you might find none. 

But dont worry to much get some views through the scope and use it a bit. Try not to get excited If your not happy walk away. 

Good luck

Edited by StarryEyed

Check the leg extension locks on the tripod.  Several I've looked at had broken clamps.  You can live with a broken clamp as long as you never need to extend the lower leg section, but ask for a discount if it wasn't disclosed.

21 minutes ago, dazzystar said:

Are parts hard to find do you know?

Generally, yes. There is not a ready supply of spare parts for scopes available during normal times, let alone how things are now with supply shortages etc. Accessories such as finder scopes, diagonals and eyepieces you can get quite easily, but spare parts can be really difficult.