Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ceres

Has anyone else been following the 'dwarf planet' Ceres?

I have been using my 8x56 binoculars to track it across Leo and now into Leo minor.

It's easy to spot at the moment in any binoculars (I could also see it in 8x30's) as it is close to the star 52 leonis right on the boundary between the two constellations.

You will need too plot out all the stars in the field don too about mag 7

(this is easy as there are only 3 or 4 of them !) and on the next night see which one has moved in relation too the others.

I did something similiar with vesta a couple of months back .I want to chart and see all the viewable asteroids and dwarf planets ,I cheat and use stellarium however....

ps ..thanks to this post i have learned that Ceres is for me the only viewable dwarf planet and is classified as of 2006 in the same catagory as Pluto, plus Haumea, Makemake and Eris in the kuiper belt as dwarf planets (previously minor planets) also that asteroids are now Small Solar System Bodies this also inlcludes comets ,centaurs, and neptunes trojans in this description.

Archived