NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Welcome to March's new members

daz

Hello everyone,

I am a brand new joiner of this forum.

I have recently purchased an Orion SkyQuest xx12i Dobsonian telescope. It is my second telescope (the first being a 4 inch refractor that I have had for 30 years).

I have also purchased a Telrad finderscope to replace the telescope' existing finderscope; but I cannot fit the base of the Telrad to the upper OTA as the base is just a little too long to fit on the upper tube.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions of how I might overcome this problem?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone,

i've been dabbling in astronomy for around 30 years, but have taken it up as my first hobby for the last 18 months and have so much to learn.

I have recently attempted astropotography with a modied Canon 40d DSLR and have achieved reasonable results for my level of experience with around 1 to 2mm star trails on a 530 second exposure (brightest image), so I purchased a Syn-Guider and now achieve 15mm star trails locked to a star in hercules or double cluster? why has it thrown my tracking so much out? and I think I need to sort out my apreture on the camera settings, someone please help me!:)

post-33274-133877760618_thumb.jpg

post-33274-133877760625_thumb.jpg

post-33274-133877760632_thumb.jpg

post-33274-133877760637_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SGL members, been into astronomy for ages been teaching it at GCSE level at my school for the last year so decided to join and share in the collective knowledge.

Now looking to up grade my old bresser 114 reflector. Got about £1000 burning a hole in my pocket. Any advice appreciated. I want to also do astro photography with it and have a decent DSLR.

Hello SGL! :hello2: Very neat website. So nice to see so many fans of the night sky. I was wondering whether or not anyone has tried to image star clusters with a Celestron 127 (Goto) and what their result was? Or, also important, what you think it would be like? This is my first scope which I saved all of my pennies for. I bought it in November of last year after I decided to pursue my interest in Astronomy and have been imaging the moon, planets and M42 with it and my Canon 500d. I might be aiming a bit high (or a bit deep) too soon but I wondered how well my scope would resolve the stars in star clusters as I haven't been able to try this yet. Thank you for your help! Although I'm very certain there will be way more experienced people on here, I hope I can help in return some time.

Hi everyone,

I'm a very amateur astronomer and I would to learn more. I've got a mead 4505 4.5" telescope probably frowned upon by many people but it's my starter scope and budget is limited plus I've had it for years but don't use it enough, so I've decided to pick other peoples brains to get more out of it.

Cheers :hello2:

Archived