SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I Could Have Kicked Myself!

Ian McCallum

5 hours ago, Ian McCallum said:

After removing the lever and rotating it by 90 degrees, I get the same result.

In the video you have the mount the wrong way round. There are 2 hex bolts at the front that fix the DEC to the RA. If you undo them and remove the DEC axis, you can then turn the RA till the clutch is round the back rather than on one of the sides.. Then fix the DEC back on. That way the clutch will never go near the RA cover in use, but it will if you spin it upside down like in your video.

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

In the video you have the mount the wrong way round. There are 2 hex bolts at the front that fix the DEC to the RA. If you undo them and remove the DEC axis, you can then turn the RA till the clutch is round the back rather than on one of the sides.. Then fix the DEC back on. That way the clutch will never go near the RA cover in use, but it will if you spin it upside down like in your video.

Do you mean these ones?  I'm confused, unfortunately. The mount head was preassembled, when I got it. 

20211212_212404.jpg

Yes, those two hex bolts fix the DEC to the RA. It won't damage anything or fall apart, the RA and DEC are two seperate units. Once off you can spin the RA to position the clutch where you want it and then replace the DEC axis. I don't think they even notice where they put the clutches on the assembly lines because I've seen EQ5s and GPs and SPs with the clutch in any of the four possible positions. You're basically moving the DEC through 90deg so that when you're in the home position the RA clutch is on top of the RA axis (instead of at the side), behind the DEC axis. That way it won't get in the way and scrape across the RA cover.

Edited by Franklin

9 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Yes, those two hex bolts fix the DEC to the RA. It won't damage anything or fall apart, the RA and DEC are two seperate units. Once off you can spin the RA to position the clutch where you want it and then replace the DEC axis. I don't think they even notice where they put the clutches on the assembly lines because I've seen EQ5s and GPs and SPs with the clutch in any of the four possible positions. You're basically moving the DEC through 90deg so that when you're in the home position the RA clutch is on top of the RA axis (instead of at the side), behind the DEC axis. That way it won't get in the way and scrape across the RA cover.

I hope this video will help clarify the situation. 🤔

Yes, the RA clutch lever is scraping across the top of the RA motor cover. Those two bolts that connect the DEC to the RA, when removed will reveal FOUR bolt holes, just replace the DEC having turned it 90deg. Then the RA clutch will be at the top rather than the side and will not scracth the top of the RA motor cover. (unless you turn your scope upside down😀)

16 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Yes, the RA clutch lever is scraping across the top of the RA motor cover. Those two bolts that connect the DEC to the RA, when removed will reveal FOUR bolt holes, just replace the DEC having turned it 90deg. Then the RA clutch will be at the top rather than the side and will not scracth the top of the RA motor cover. (unless you turn your scope upside down😀)

I must be a complete moron, as after doing that, it made no difference,  Can you post a photo of what you mean, please?

Edited by Ian McCallum

Here is a pic of mine. The lever is at the top and goes nowhere near the RA cover in use. (It's a GP but the EQ5 is the same). Also, you need to do the adjustment as Vlaiv says to take the play out. Mine's unlocked in pic but I just move lever only 1cm to fully lock.

IMG_20211212_222402.jpg

• Like 1

When the clutch lever is re-positioned, it will still catch the RA cover if you turn the RA through 180deg, but in use you will only turn the RA through 90deg either way from the home position. The catching of the lever on the RA box is not really an issue for visual observing but for imaging I think it would probably set off unwanted vibrations. If you're ever observing and the counterweight starts to get higher than the scope, it's time for a meridian flip in order to continue observing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian McCallum said:

I hope this video will help clarify the situation. 🤔

You are moving the RA around in an unnatural way that will likely never happen when in use and if by chance the mount did turn around that far, that clutch will be locked and not catch.  You've found a problem that doesn't exist by making the problem exist.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Jamgood said:

You are moving the RA around in an unnatural way that will likely never happen when in use and if by chance the mount did turn around that far, that clutch will be locked and not catch.  You've found a problem that doesn't exist by making the problem exist.

A solution looking for a problem? 🤔