NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TS Optics Binoculars

bomberbaz

I was just perusing the web, as you do and came across these on teleskop express website.

Teleskop-Express: TS-Optics 82 mm Duplet Binoculars - 1.25" Eyepieces - 45° angled View

Now I am no expert in this matter so excuse any misunderstandings of mine up front.

However they say they have ED glass and should be free of chromatic aberrations up to about x 60, I realise chromatic aberration is still possible but isn't the ED glass designed to deal with this issue?

The other thing is the price tag of similar achromatic astro bins such as explore scientific.

Explore Scientific BT-82 SF Giant Binocular With 62° 20mm LER Eyepieces - Rother Valley Optics Ltd

Am I missing something here.

TIA all

Steve 

Looking at the TS “30x100mm”, you can see the 2k ED models and the 1.3k semi-apo (achromat) options. For astro the 90degree make zenith viewing a little nicer. There seem to be other selling these like Altair and Astroshop.eu. APM sell semi-apo, “ED” and “SD”, which is even better, TS seem to selling the first two. Tripod mounting, angled viewing, changeable eyepieces, all useful options to have for larger bins.

Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

I realise chromatic aberration is still possible but isn't the ED glass designed to deal with this issue?

Those have 80mm F/6 lens in them - probably FCD-1 / FPL-51 type.

At that aperture and that speed - it's probably still going to have residual CA. Not as much as equivalent achromat - but it won't be color free.

While we are on subject, I'm really interested in these:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1421_TS-Optics-20x80-ED-APO-Binoculars-with-two-Triplet-Objectives-and-Tripod-Adapter.html

but not as binoculars :D

I see them as source of two 80mm probably F/5 triplet lens. Who wants to have ST80 with triplet lens and hence much better color correction? :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

While we are on subject, I'm really interested in these:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1421_TS-Optics-20x80-ED-APO-Binoculars-with-two-Triplet-Objectives-and-Tripod-Adapter.html

but not as binoculars :D

I see them as source of two 80mm probably F/5 triplet lens. Who wants to have ST80 with triplet lens and hence much better color correction? :D

They aren't really triplets, if my memory dosen't lie to me; they are classic cemented doublets + one negative lens as flattener in front of prisms. They should provide better definition at the edge of the field but I presume it would be a nightmare to collimate.

• Like 1

Ok so I asked the question of Teleskop Express as to what the EP's are that come with it, turns  out it is 2 APM UFF 18mm. wow!

I was all but set on a Vixen BT 81S which are achromat bins, largely swayed on the japanese build but now I am leaning towards these.

Anyone know where these TS bins will be built? Can't seem to find out!

5 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Ok so I asked the question of Teleskop Express as to what the EP's are that come with it, turns  out it is 2 APM UFF 18mm. wow!

I was all but set on a Vixen BT 81S which are achromat bins, largely swayed on the japanese build but now I am leaning towards these.

Anyone know where these TS bins will be built? Can't seem to find out!

I've heard on the grapevine these are rebadged APM binoculars made by United Optics in China but don't quote me. 😉

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I've heard on the grapevine these are rebadged APM binoculars made by United Optics in China but don't quote me. 😉

can't male my mind up, T.Exp confirmed them as built in china, but there is the consideration that they have ED glass and a pair of very good ep's thrown in with them. I realise I will have import duty but that doesn't bother me, it's the quality that I am interested in. 

Just now, bomberbaz said:

can't male my mind up, T.Exp confirmed them as built in china, but there is the consideration that they have ED glass and a pair of very good ep's thrown in with them. I realise I will have import duty but that doesn't bother me, it's the quality that I am interested in. 

United Optics/Kunming make those sweet 4" f7 scopes that are all the range atm so the bins should be good? Is anything APM spec'd bad?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PeterW said:

Looking at the TS “30x100mm”, you can see the 2k ED models and the 1.3k semi-apo (achromat) options. For astro the 90degree make zenith viewing a little nicer. There seem to be other selling these like Altair and Astroshop.eu. APM sell semi-apo, “ED” and “SD”, which is even better, TS seem to selling the first two. Tripod mounting, angled viewing, changeable eyepieces, all useful options to have for larger bins.

Peter

I would be getting a paralellogram peter, that changes the game a lot with big bins, zenith viewing no longer becomes a contortionist nightmare.

The supplied glass is APM UFF 18mm, very nice eyepieces. I already have 2 25mm Vixen NPL Plossls which give a lovely and crisp view. I would probably also add 2 8.8mm ES 82 degree eps to it as well and see how i got on from there.

Thanks to @ScouseSpaceCadet my quality concerns are dealt with, it's just pushing the button which will be done after my visit to optician next week.

Baader morpheus are well thought of, anything over 70something degrees give immersive views. With angled binoculars you can just use a heavy tripod and a fluid head, though purpose made yoke mounts are also common. No neck spraining either. A parallelogram is only needed for straight through models.

Peter

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Baader morpheus are well thought of, anything over 70something degrees give immersive views. With angled binoculars you can just use a heavy tripod and a fluid head, though purpose made yoke mounts are also common. No neck spraining either. A parallelogram is only needed for straight through models.

Peter

I agree to a point, however try viewing at zenith with 45 degree versions from a yoke type mount and your quickly going to have a very stiff neck.  Also you possibly end up raising and lowering the height to help gain a comfortable position to view, parallelograms have the flexibility to change height easily which is why I am thinking of one.

I have looked at the yoke mounts and they are also more expensive than a parallelogram. 

Matter of choice and taste here methinks Peter.