Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AstroDSLR Plate Solving

BobJC

Is there anyone with experience of getting plate solving working with Cloudmakers AstroDSLR?

I'm using ADSLR on Mac to control my cameras. The program has a plate solving option which integrates with Astrometry.net. I have Astrometry installed and have downloaded the files I believe are required for my focal length. The program runs but fails every time. Anyone have any experience they can bring to bear please? The tutorial videos on the cloudmakers website aren't very informative.

You should have installed index files down to about 20% or 30% of your field of view.  Which index files do you have and what is the field of view?

What configuration settings for solving are set?

What does the log say?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, han59 said:

You should have installed index files down to about 20% or 30% of your field of view.  Which index files do you have and what is the field of view?

What configuration settings for solving are set?

What does the log say?

I've got index files 4208 - 4215

According to Stellarium my field of view is 6º 43' x 4º 29' @ 200mm focal length, 2º 41' x 1º 47' @ 500mm.

I'm using a DSLR with 200-500mm camera lens.

I'm not familiar with your software but did use astromerty.net on astroberry for a time and it it just worked.

As other say, either the image size or focal length/sensor details passing through to the solving software. Most imaging software communicates that info to the solving utility.

So even if you have the correct index files installed you often still need to give it some idea what scale to start searching at and preferably an approximate RA/DEC of the image center. Blind solving does work but can be slow and temperamental.

• Like 1