What did you see tonight?

Ags

56 minutes ago, PeterC65 said:

Sky-Watcher are doing their own version of StarSense.

Hopefully one anyone can access. The restricted system of having to buy a scope with starsense explorer is ridiculous, they'd sell far more as individual units, but then maybe no one would buy those "bundled" scopes.

4 minutes ago, Elp said:

Hopefully one anyone can access. The restricted system of having to buy a scope with starsense explorer is ridiculous, they'd sell far more as individual units, but then maybe no one would buy those "bundled" scopes.

The Sky-Watcher solution is just part of their free SynScan software, plus a smartphone in a holder (which could be any holder aligned with the scope, not necessarily the TBA Sky-Watcher holder).

Here is a post specifically about the new SynScan software auto align feature. I have used it in anger a few time now, but with an astro camera rather than a smartphone.

50 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Isn't the net effect the same with the synscan version?  The app is free but does it work without a mount?

Yes you need a Sky-Watcher mount, but any Sky-Watcher mount that can be controlled via SynScan will do (so any GOTO mount).

All set up and waiting for darkness , which fortunately will be along soon …as the saying goes “the best things in life are free” and looking up at a clear sky at night proves it ( although the equipment certainly isn’t free :) ) Still a night of doubles and  star clusters and probably a planet or two awaits 

IMG_0502.jpeg

• Like 18

A decent haul of doubles in Aquila - making sure I got the ones I listed last week before the constellation truly disappears into the murk. Sky very washed out with the moon rising above the house at around 21:45. The waning gibbous moon looked awesome though, especially around the region of the disappearing Mare Crisium. Clouds rolled in at 22:20. Think we're in for some wet weather now....

• Like 6

The puppy needed to go out at 5.30 and the Moon was in the sky... I just HAD to get on the balcony and do a Lunar session well into the daylight instead of catching up on some needed sleep :grin: 

I am abaolutely loving Lunar observing recently. I'm even considering buying a high end high power eyepiece for it.

My report here: 

Edited by SwiMatt
  • Like 5

I managed to sneak in between the clouds to make use of the sky right after it rained. I checked out M13 and then I tried foolishly to get M51: I am pretty sure that I got the right field of view, but I'm not positive that I saw anything - even after 10 minutes with the eye in the eyepiece. Not that I was expecting it, but it's nice to go for something impossible from time to time... :grin:

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SwiMatt said:

I managed to sneak in between the clouds to make use of the sky right after it rained. I checked out M13 and then I tried foolishly to get M51: I am pretty sure that I got the right field of view, but I'm not positive that I saw anything - even after 10 minutes with the eye in the eyepiece. Not that I was expecting it, but it's nice to go for something impossible from time to time... :grin:

Nothing doing here - solid cloud cover 🙄

I've seen M51 with scopes as small as 70mm aperture. It appears as two small faint fuzzy spots of light in small scopes - like a pair of eyes looking back at you. I've seen it with a 20 inch dob from a dark site and it looked just like this 😁

Messier 51 : r/astrophotography

Any light pollution or moonlight makes it much harder to spot, like most galaxies.

Edited by John
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, John said:

Nothing doing here - solid cloud cover 🙄

I've seen M51 with scopes as small as 70mm aperture. It appears as two small faint fuzzy spots of light in small scopes - like a pair of eyes looking back at you. I've seen it with a 20 inch dob from a dark site and it looked just like this 😁

Messier 51 : r/astrophotography

Any light pollution or moonlight makes it much harder to spot, like most galaxies.

Light pollution is the limiting factor where I am, for sure. But it's one of those objects located well enough that I will give it a try from time to time just for the thrill.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

Light pollution is the limiting factor where I am, for sure. But it's one of those objects located well enough that I will give it a try from time to time just for the thrill.

It's worth picking a time when its high in the sky and having another go. There are lots of galaxies to see in the Canes Venatici / Ursa Major / Coma Berenices area, if your skies are dark and transparent 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1