Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hunting DSOs with a SvBony 90mm f5.5 Achro Frac

Mark at Beaufort

I bought this SvBony f5.5 frac a few months ago mainly for holidays but it has become very useful as a white light solar scope with a continuum filter.

Tonight was very clear and transparent so rather than watching 'strictly', with the wife, I went outside observing. The only diagonal I have is a StellarMira Erecting Prism which I used with my ES68 24mm EP, SvBony 7-21mm zoom, TeleVue Nebustar 2 filter and finally a Hb filter.

These are the DSOs I was able to observe or nearly in some cases.

M81, M82, M51 (just a glimmer), M101 (failed), M13, M92, M57, Both parts of the Veil (with Nebustar filter), North American Nebular (with filter), M27 (filter), M71, M15, M2, M31, M32, M110, NGC281, NGC 7790, Helix Nebular (with filter), M33, Double Cluster, Kemble's Cascade with NGC 1502, and finally tried California Neb with HB filter (not sure).

I am really pleased with the quality of this refractor which was not that expensive. I am also pleased with SvBony zoom (especially solar). I could have taken out a larger scope but I just wanted to experience a small refractor to see what I could observe.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Stu said:

That’s a man impressive haul @Mark at Beaufort! Sounds like the little Svbony is quite a find, great to have something small and compact that’s easy and quick to use.

I only wish I had a 2" dielectric mirror diagonal so I could try out my Ethos and Myriad EPs. I did observe Jupiter (a tiny bit of blue  on the edge) and Saturn (no Cassini division).

Also forgot to mention a very bright Meteor ending just above Dubhe at about 8.40pm

• Like 1

The scope has been around for years under a few brand names. Had the StarSk,y 90 version about ten years ago and it was a fine little scope with surprisingly good optics for an achro. Was in gloss black.

Doesn't get as much attention as it should as many dismiss it as just an achro .

Edited by johninderby